PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Bacula log permissions

coryc
February 23rd, 2010, 10:52 PM
Hi,

I have a recently setup my first linux server (hardy) and am having problems with the permissions for a log file being changed. I believe this is caused by syslogd, but am not sure how to correct it. Bacula will report it is unable to start a backup because it is unable to open the log file (/var/lib/bacula/log) "permission denied". After changing the owner from syslog to bacula, the backup will resume. However, the following day I encounter the same problem because the owner of the log has been changed back to syslog. I see where the permissions for logs are altered in sysklogd, but I am not certain how to make bacula exempt or if this is the right approach.

Thanks,

coryc
March 3rd, 2010, 01:33 AM
It seems I created this problem by adding bacula's log to the list of logs monitored by webmin. After removing the log from webmin's list last week, I have not encountered the problem again. Obviously, I didn't fully understand webmin's system log module and made the mistake of assuming it was a quick way to read a log. Lesson learned the hard way. ](*,):grin: