View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cannot ping Ubuntu computer from laptop

February 23rd, 2010, 09:40 PM

I'm a beginner at networking.

I have an old computer I have set Ubuntu up on to use it to learn about web services, networking and sys admin.

As a first step I have installed the LAMP packages successfully. I want to reach my ubuntu computer from my laptop through my home wireless setup.

I go to Terminal and enter:

ifconfig | grep inet

I get back

inet addr: Mask:
inet addr:192.***.1.104

So I assume that my ip address is 192.***.1.104 right?

On the server I open a browser put this in the address bar and get to the "It works!" page so assume its correct.

I go to my laptop, put the same number in the browser and am told that there's a problem loading that page.

I figure ok, could be security or ports or something so i ping it to see if it work on that level and it doesn't.

I go to my laptop, get the ip for it and then try to ping from ubuntu to my laptop - that doesn't work either.

Pinging the router from both computers works fine though.

What do I do now? I know its probably something really basic but don't have the first clue where to look so i would appreciate any help!

February 23rd, 2010, 11:21 PM
Check sudo iptables -L on each machine to see if there are rules in place (active firewall). If so, pings may be getting blocked, too.

February 24th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks for that. Theres nothing blocked on my Ubuntu box anyway.

After looking around a bit i think it might be a router setting. I'm going to have to do a hard reset since my flatmate lost the admin password but I'll report back here later.

February 25th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks for your help lowan. It was my router settings I have the WRT300N and there is a setting called 'AP isolation'. this needs to be disabled.

February 25th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Wow... that's another one I'll wish I could remember. Congrats!