PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] machine id is differnet problem

swapnil0545
February 23rd, 2010, 10:17 AM
hello guyz,

My ISP doesnt provide a client for linux :(
However theres a login form on the browser which they provide which helps connecting my account and logging in into it.Thus starting the internet.

Now the problem is of machine id.
Whenever I try logging in through Ubuntu it says "your machine ID is diff from the one registered with us"

This problem doesnt come with my WinXP.

Are the machine IDs diff for Ubuntu and winXP?
How can I make them same?to edit the ubuntus to make it same as winxp?

Please I cant you internet on Ubuntu because of this!

Iowan
February 23rd, 2010, 11:45 PM
Might not help, but see if this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8703594&postcount=26) has any effect.

Joe Ker1086
February 23rd, 2010, 11:49 PM
What kind of internet do you have? not quite sure what you mean by "doesnt have a linux client"

swapnil0545
February 24th, 2010, 12:51 PM
We have to use a software to login to our internet account.Then only it starts.
s/w=client.

Joe Ker1086
February 24th, 2010, 07:16 PM
2 more questions:

Do you have DSL, Dial-up, cable?

Do you access the internet through a router or are you directly connected to the modem?

swapnil0545
February 25th, 2010, 01:06 PM
2 more questions:

Do you have DSL, Dial-up, cable?

Do you access the internet through a router or are you directly connected to the modem?

Its directly connected to the modem.
and I just have a lan cable connecting to my computer.

Joe Ker1086
February 28th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Ok, probably not the answer you want to hear, but I would get a router. If it is the router itself trying to access the internet and your computer connecting through the router, there shouldnt be a problem. I would contact your ISP for a list of supported routers if you are having this much trouble connecting directly.... and is it cable or dsl.....sounds like dsl if you are having these problems. If you use a router to access your dsl it will "dial out", for lack of better terminology, from there.