PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best Wifi PCI Card to Get?

weizilla
February 23rd, 2010, 05:13 AM
I just got a new desktop and I'm planning on retiring my old one as a file server/development box machine. One thing that I now need is a wifi adapter because the tower no longer in ethernet range of my router.

Any recommendations for the best wifi pci card to get in terms of performance but will still be relatively easy to setup? I don't have a problem with the console and booting from live cds, etc.

mark bower
February 23rd, 2010, 06:26 AM
i kept asking the same question as you: what pci wifi card works (guaranteed) with native drivers, no hassle, no ndiswrapper? could not get an answer on this forum.

but i can offer you this. with versions 8.10, 9.04 and 9.10 the Belkin F5D7050 USB wifi adapter works out of the box. i purchased four of them owing to two recommendations reporting working out of the box. i used the device on three different motherboards as well as the different Ubuntu versions.

i did switch and get my PCI Hawking HWP54g's to work with ndiswrapper, but the ndiswrapper requirement becomes a chore every time i redo my HD's (3 computers plus laptop). the switch to the PCI cards was driven by transmission of signal through 3 walls to connect computers to router. i use high gain antennas with the Hawking cards so i can get to "two bars".

mark

northd_tech
February 23rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Beware superlatives, young lads:

So was that Puerto Rican American young lady that I once dated "better" than a certain blonde young lady that I once dated a couple of years before that?

So are boxers better than briefs?

"Did you love her more than you love me?" [Hint: dudes- AVOID THIS question at ALL COSTS!!!]

Is xubuntu the "best" version of all time? [I can hear the screams and boos already- thank you, my fans-that-love-me-so-much. ;) ]

Angelina Jolie is "hotter" than Halle Berry "because" why? ....

So does a 13mm wrench fit "better" than a 1/2-inch one?

mAsTERpEE
December 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM
The card doesn't matter as much as the chip inside it. From what I've seen the best cards come with an Atheros chip-set. This is more supported under Linux than any other chip-set. I can't find a Linksys or TP-link with this but their seems to be a d-link with one installed. Try:

D-Link DWA-552