PDA

View Full Version : LAN Timeout

zarithyl
February 21st, 2010, 04:53 AM
Hi,

I recently started attending University and there is a filesharing hub set up throughout the dorms. I want to connect to it using LinuxDC++ but the connection just continuously times out. I have used DC++ before on Windows and never had any troubles so I am thinking it is something to do with networking in Linux (I have only been using Ubuntu for about a month).

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I haven't posted enough info to be helpful, I apologize and just let me know.

zarithyl

zarithyl
February 24th, 2010, 10:07 AM
I've been researching like crazy and asking around campus and people have zero trouble connecting on Windows machines but Mac users are having big issues, but its still do-able. I haven't met anyone else using Linux (because I haven't made my way to the CS dept.) so I'm not sure on that front yet.

Still looking for any advice you can offer.

Cheers,
z

zarithyl
March 10th, 2010, 03:03 AM
So turning my DSL connection off and re-enabling the Network Connections Manager to manage Wired Connections has allowed me to be able to Ping the DC++ Hub address successfully. Now when I use DC++, the hub I am trying to connect to says it successfully connects when I use any of the ports I found using the Network Tools. But if I try to just straight connect to the IP address, the connection gets refused. The problem now is that no matter what port I use, DC++ cannot seem to find any other users connected.

Anyone have any tips or wisdom to share this time?