PDA

View Full Version : Trendnet wireless card not working

darkstarfa22
February 20th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I have been trying to get my Trendnet TEW-649UB wireless card to work on Karmic. I have ndiswrapper "installed", but it doesn't seem to be working. I have reinstalled ndiswrapper-utils 1.9 and ndiswrapper-common from synaptic, but not ndisgtk (the GUI for ndiswrapper). When I try to see if any drivers are installed using terminal (ndiswrapper -i) the terminal freezes on me.

Previously I tried using the help doc for installing Trendnet wireless drivers (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/TRENDnet_TEW-421PC_H/W:B1_%28ndiswrapper%29), but I was met with no success. After my first try using the help doc it seemed that ndiswrapper was working correctly and the driver was installed, but when I tried to connect to my network my wireless was listed as "device not managed".

If this helps at all the current state of my /etc/network/interfaces is:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp

When I run iwconfig I get:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.

but when I try to install the driver using ndiswrapper -i I get the message: driver net8192su is already installed

Right now my computer is not even reading that the wireless card is avaliable. When I left click on the network icon I can only see that I am on a wired network {ifupdown (wlan0)}.

My computer is dual booted with Vista and the card works there, but for some reason I am having trouble with Ubuntu. :-k
Thanks for any help you can provide!

Bleek
April 21st, 2010, 03:24 PM
Bump

same type of issue with the trendnet tew-649su

any help would be appreciated

arjuntank
April 21st, 2010, 03:31 PM
if driver net8192su is already installed then try

$ sudo depmod -a

Might help..

Bleek
April 22nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Tried that and nothing happens.

It seams that when I installed 9.10 it defaulted a realtek driver to the tew-649su.

When I use ndiswrapper with GUI I install the net8192su.inf and it shows hardware detected. But network configuration pops a message "network tools could not be located" along those lines as I am not at the machine right now.

Should I blacklist the default driver and try the 8192su or is the realtek driver good and I need to configure something else?

Thanks

nilbus
April 29th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I didn't have to use ndiswrapper to get my TEW-624UB USB card working.

This post got it working for me:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8786509&postcount=16