PDA

View Full Version : Sharing PDF peer to peer

jesuisbenjamin
February 20th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Hello friends,

Some time ago i started programming, unfortunately my studies do not leave me enough time to keep on learning and creating things i would like to make.

One thing i am looking forward is a program to share PDF documents from computer to computer across the internet.
It would be very useful in the world of education and research for people to share their articles and reviews which sometime are not available in local libraries or even virtual libraries (asking ridiculous fees for their services).

Is there anyone out there that could help making something like this?

Thanks very much.
B.

Tibuda
February 20th, 2010, 10:29 PM
torrents? it can be used to share any kind of file.

or perhaps i don't really got what you want.

wmcbrine
February 21st, 2010, 12:22 AM
Yeah, it doesn't really sound like a PDF-specific problem.

Many PDFs are small enough to be emailed. Otherwise I'd just use a simple web server. Torrents are overkill for this.

Hellkeepa
February 21st, 2010, 02:09 AM
HELLo!

Perhaps Dropbox (www.dropbox.com) would be something for you?

Happy syncin'!

Tibuda
February 21st, 2010, 02:53 AM
Yeah, it doesn't really sound like a PDF-specific problem.

Many PDFs are small enough to be emailed. Otherwise I'd just use a simple web server. Torrents are overkill for this.

I agree torrents are overkill, but he asked for "peer to peer".

jesuisbenjamin
February 21st, 2010, 09:09 AM
What i mean really is a kind of Soulseek for Scholar documents.
As a user you have your own library of PDF articles, other users similarly have their own library. Then by searching for specific terms, eg."endogamy issues in South Bangladesh" one could get a list of available articles with these terms. The idea is not to share publicly your info.

Does this make more sense?

"Drop box" is not what i am looking for, thanks. I don't see how torrents can help me find documents to download (?).

Some Penguin
February 21st, 2010, 09:29 AM
That's what Citeseer, Google Scholar, DBLP etc are for.

jesuisbenjamin
February 21st, 2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks for your reply. I work with several so called online libraries already. Several are connected to my University's library too. Google scholar is merely a search engine, linking one to already existing online libraries.
Most of libraries require an authorisation access and ask for fees. There are many journals, articles a books which are not available. As a matter of fact even my teachers are not allowed to share copyrighted material with their students. So i thought of these options before, but i think people need an independent system to share what they want, including their own papers.