PDA

View Full Version : 4 one hour shows on 1 DVD

linuxhippy
February 19th, 2010, 09:06 PM
I want to burn a bunch of 1 hour shows onto DVDs that I recorded in mythbuntu 9.10. My DVDs say they're good for 120 minutes. That would be 2 shows per DVD...right? When I've rented TV show DVDs, they can put 4 one hour shows on a DVD. Do they compress their shows?

Neezer
February 19th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I want to burn a bunch of 1 hour shows onto DVDs that I recorded in mythbuntu 9.10. My DVDs say they're good for 120 minutes. That would be 2 shows per DVD...right? When I've rented TV show DVDs, they can put 4 one hour shows on a DVD. Do they compress their shows?

The rented TV series shows don't have commercials?? I am ripping seasons of hour long shows right now, and each 45 minute episode is about 350 meg. It is compressed, but still quite good quality. You should be able to get at least 4 shows per DVD.

SiHa
February 19th, 2010, 11:09 PM
They are almost certainly compressed a bit, but more importantly, those DVD's are often double-sided or double-layer, so you get twice the capacity.

linuxhippy
February 19th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Can I buy these double sided blank DVDs for burning or could the mythbuntu software make a DVD iso for 4 TV shows (45 minutes each once the commercials are taken out)?

2hot6ft2
February 19th, 2010, 11:30 PM
If you encode them to divx or xvid you can fit 9 or 10 hours on a dvd. I have ripped and encoded my dvd's and can fit 6 full length movies on a single dvd with room to spare. I have a dvd player that can play divx they work just fine and look about as good as a regular dvd.

williammanda
February 19th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Can I buy these double sided blank DVDs for burning or could the mythbuntu software make a DVD iso for 4 TV shows (45 minutes each once the commercials are taken out)?

Not sure how you would do this in mythtv but you can do it using brasero. This a gnome product so it should on any ubuntu based os. Buy some double sided dvd's and give it a try.

xinix
February 20th, 2010, 06:19 PM
You would also need a burner capable of handling dual layer DVDs.
I have put 4 shows on a single layer DVD. After you select the shows to put on the disk, you should be able to change the encoding. I think 'LP' is what I used(it's been a while).

kubug
February 23rd, 2010, 03:34 AM
You can get Dual Layer DVD from newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817131163&cm_re=dual_layer_dvd-_-17-131-163-_-Product

But at $1.69 each DVD they are bit more pricey than your regular DVD (which runs at more like $0.15)

Also, to encode your shows to go onto a DVD you can use 'DeVeDe'. It fairly simple to use program and the videos should play back on most DVD players.

You can fit all 4 shows on a 4.7GB DVD (Single Layer) with this program, just the quality won't be as nice as you might like. You can simply try it (it will create an ISO file) and play it back in VLC or something. If the quality stinks then just put 3 or 2 shows on it.

If you like it, then burn the DVD with the ISO (use brasero).