PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Help

RareJj7
February 18th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I installed ubuntu using wubi, I am using x64 windows 7 home premium, I installed it and when it rebooted I was told to boot to windows, then go to ubuntu to finish it up, looks like everything was in place, except I am having trouble connecting to my network, I am used to just enterting the wep and connecting like that, but I can enter my mac address and ip if neccesary if thats what it needs, also I wanted to change the look but when I picked the selection that needed a faster graphics card, it said it was unable to change desktop graphics, also with the middle option same thing. Maybe I need to install a driver because I am using an nvidia gt 230m card and of course its more than capable. But I would need to be online to do that.

I am using an hp touchsmart 600xt

Thanks, btw love using ubuntu as a secondary os

Oh btw I do not have a second hard drive so I used wubi to install it on C:, which I didn't think mattered because installing ubuntu using wubi, it doesn't install it on it's own partition

w0296094
February 18th, 2010, 05:21 PM
you have to go to a wired connection first. go to apt-get update( once you are on the internet with a wired connection). then check and see if there is a popup notification on the desktop. Otherwise, look for the drivers tab in ubuntu(cant remember where it is).
If the drivers tab doesnt get any new drivers, reboot your computer. Once rebooted check the drivers tab again, and this time yyou will see a wireless driver.
Click activate, the driver will install. Once its finished reboot the computer again, once in ubuntu login, and after logging in and having your programs load, remove the ethernet cord, and double click on the connections icon in the desktop,
you will have the option to connect to wireless networks, and just select it. After that, you should get wireless.

I'm not sure why it happens with wubi, having all that stuff in windows, but for some reason ubuntu wubi doesnt have the wirelless drivers loaded to the wubi installation.