PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lenovo T60 graphic card options 9.10

dizmayed
February 18th, 2010, 02:39 AM
The T60 comes with one of three graphic cards: 1) Intel GMA 950, 2) ATI Mobility Radeon X1300, or 3) ATI Mobility Radeon X1400. Which works best with 9.10? I want to buy a T60 that will work for me.

I've browsed the forums for hours re ATI problems, but don't understand the issues completely. My needs are simple: DVD movies, streaming video, no games.

Will any of these three video configs satisfy my basic needs?

thx y'all

steefjeqv
February 20th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Hi,

I'm using a T60 with the ATI X1400 chipset. It works out of the box with Karmic.
Ubuntu will load the open source ati driver by default (2D, 3D and Compiz work).
This open source driver is being developed, refined and is gaining more features all of the time. AMD has open sourced lots of info for these chipsets.
Something it lacks for the moment is powersave features (at least the version which ships in Karmic), but expect some major improvements in the future.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nzk2OA

Do not use fglrx (ati closed source driver), it will not work.

Greetings,
Steven

dizmayed
February 27th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Thanks Steven, for the advice.

I tried 9.10 live on a T60 2007-4CU with ATI Radeon X1300 and a SXGA+ 1400x1050 screen.

I got the proper screen resolution right away and assume I will get the same result when I do the proper install.

bright moments