PDA

View Full Version : How to stream videos *FROM* a windows share or upnp server *TO* mythtv box

JasonBr
February 17th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I can't seem to find the answer to this. Everywhere I search is filled with howto's on viewing mythtv content on a windows box but not the other way around.

I have a windows machine running a UPNP server as well as windows shares of videos and music. I want to add these to my mythtv library so that I can watch them on the mythtv box. Is this possible?

epi 1:10,000
February 17th, 2010, 04:21 AM
Good Question!! I would like to know the answer to this too. I know XBMC can do this but XBMC doesn't have the advanced VDPAU options that MythTV has.

ian dobson
February 17th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Hi,

Maybe you could miss use vlc to stream the media from your upnp system and get MythTV to use the output from vlc as an extra tuner card.

Have a look here:- http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Dreambox-NetworkRecorder#The_channel_change_script

The page is for streaming from a dbox into mythtv, but as vlc does the streaming it doesn't matter where the media is cmming from.

It's not for the faint hearted, I setup my dbox last weekend to stream to mythtv and it took me about 8 hours to get it working. Mainly due to the fact that my dbox has a different sw version and when I setup vlc I used the hostname of the myth backend rather than hard wired IP addresses.

Regards
Ian Dobson

nickrout
February 17th, 2010, 08:05 AM
The answer is very simple. Run dmount on the linux box. This will mount all upnp drives on your network.

Then add the mount point to the directories that mythvideo looks for videos in.

joho500
February 17th, 2010, 09:11 AM
You can also mount your Windiows shares and add the folders where you mounted them to the locations in mythbackend.

Cheers,
Joost

JasonBr
February 18th, 2010, 02:32 AM
The answer is very simple. Run dmount on the linux box. This will mount all upnp drives on your network.

Then add the mount point to the directories that mythvideo looks for videos in.

dmount is a command? I don't see any further information on this command in a google search.

nickrout
February 18th, 2010, 03:34 AM
Thats cos I mistyped it. It's djmount. http://djmount.sourceforge.net/

Sorry bout dat.