PDA

View Full Version : Please help diagnose crashed mythbox!

itlarson
February 16th, 2010, 06:40 PM
My mythbox crashed last night. I had been having a few warning signs. There were recordings with blank previews, which give a "recording not found" message when I tried to play them. Also there were a few recordings which would play to a certain point then stop. Then there was the time I lost all schedule information. Last night I tried to play one of the blank preview recordings. It didn't play, and I was immediately kicked back to the menu. Only now there were no recordings showing up at all. I rebooted, and about half my recordings were missing- the older ones. I rebooted again, and my system didn't autologin, instead giving me the graphical login screen. Manually logging in from here didn't work either. Here I should mention that both my home directory, and the older recordings are on sdb, and root is on sda. I suspected sdb is going bad, but the smarctl long test passed both drives. Should I believe smartctl? Could it be the motherboard drive control hardware? or even a bad sata cable? If anyone has hints or thoughts, I would appreciate them!

ian dobson
February 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Hi,

It could be a screwed up filesystem or maybe corruption in the mysql database.

What do you see in the syslog (/var/log/syslog)

Bootup in recovery mode and run a fsck on all your file systems.

smartctl just reads out what a hd says about itself and that is based on what the manufacturer thinks is OK. I don't really trust it but it's better than nothing.

Regards
Ian Dobson

itlarson
February 16th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will try that this evening. I forgot to mention that I saw some xfs errors on logout, and in one of the logs.

itlarson
February 17th, 2010, 02:56 AM
Now I'm really lost. Turns out my home IS on the newer (sda, boot) drive, I forgot I moved it when I upgraded to .22. So now I have no idea why I can't log in as my user. fsck reported nothing for my home or root drives. I can mount them from a rescue CD. A few quick questions:
-where is the database kept?
-Why is my root directory (10g) totally full? /var is over 6g.

I will check the logs after Lost. Watching live tv sucks!

itlarson
February 17th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Well, it's working again. All I had to do was delete /var/log/messages.1 -which was over 1g. One of my two xfs storage partitions was throwing an error, which would generate a traceback. This would add dozens of lines to the logs every second when myth was active. I had previously run xfs_repair, so freeing up the space in root was all it took. I didn't know a full root partition could cause problems like this, but I should of suspected it would. The xfs error message doesn't seem to be showing up anymore.

ian dobson
February 17th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Hi,

Good to hear it's working again. Everytime I hear about fs problems it's almost always xfs.

Regards
Ian Dobson