PDA

View Full Version : Why is sign-on required when host does not

unr-convert
February 15th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I am using UNR 9.10.
I am attempting to use a printer on a Windows 7 system. I am connected through my home network. Same workgroup. The same printer is used by another Windows system (XP). No password is required, yet when I try to install the printer in UNR it insists that I sign in. Sign-in with what? There are no additional ids created on either system besides the default login.
Why does UNR want me to sjgn in and how do I get around this?
Thank you for your help.

movieman
February 15th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Isn't that just Windows' crappy networking 'security'? If I remember correctly, I had to set my Linux password the same as my Windows password in order to access files on the Windows PC, otherwise it asks for a user name and password to access that machine.

And I doubt it's UNR asking for the information just to annoy you, it's almost certainly the Windows system with the printer demanding it.

unr-convert
February 16th, 2010, 12:25 AM
But there is no password on the the windows machine and another windows machine can access the printer without signing in.

cariboo907
February 16th, 2010, 05:59 AM
Go to System->Administration->Printing, right click on the printer and select properties, next select Access Control and check the settings.

unr-convert
February 16th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion cariboo907.
I cannot do this as Ubuntu will not even see the printer until I sign in.

cariboo907
February 16th, 2010, 07:29 PM
You could try reinstalling the printer, and set any access controls. If you do need to set access control initially, use a user name and password that is valid on the Windows 7 system. You may need to create a pssword on the Windows system.

unr-convert
February 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply and the desire to help me.
Do you mean to reinstall the printer in Windows? I had a hard enough time making it work in Windows 7 and have no desire to monkey with it now. Remember it is already sharable and is shared by another Windows computer which is XP (i.e. not Windows 7).
Samba insists that I sign in before I can install it. I was hoping to fix samba somehow to prevent this.
I would rather not have a password in Windows nor in UNR. The ability to print in UNR is not that important to me (as the computer is a netbook and it is seldom used at home any way).

cariboo907
February 17th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Just out of curiosity, what are the results when you enter the following command in a terminal:

smbclient -L <server name> -H%

where <server name> is the computer the printer is connected to. Do you get prompted to enter your password, or does it just print out something that looks like this:

smbclient -L risky -H%
Enter my password:
Domain=[RISKY] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
print$ Disk Printer Drivers
SharedDocs Disk
EPSONSty Printer EPSON Stylus Photo R340 Series
ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
C$ Disk Default share
Domain=[RISKY] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Server Comment
--------- -------

Workgroup Master
--------- -------

The above is for the XP system, my Epson printer is connected to.

unr-convert
February 17th, 2010, 05:11 PM
I have entered the suggested command.
The following output is once with entering the root password (the olnly password there is) and the second time just hitting enter at the prompt:

user@acer-mini:~$ smbclient -L USER-DELL -H%
Enter user's password:
session setup failed: SUCCESS - 0
user@acer-mini:~$ smbclient -L USER-DELL -H%
Enter user's password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[OEMWORKGROUP] OS=[Windows 7 Home Premium 7600] Server=[Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[OEMWORKGROUP] OS=[Windows 7 Home Premium 7600] Server=[Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1]

Server Comment
--------- -------
MIMI Ann's Desktop Dell
USER-DELL Bob's Desktop

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
OEMWORKGROUP USER-DELL
user@acer-mini:~$

cariboo907
February 17th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Is your netbook in the OEMWORKGROUP, or are you still in the default WORKGROUP?

unr-convert
February 18th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Yes, all 3 computesr are in the oemworkbook.

cariboo907
February 18th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Yes, all 3 computesr are in the oemworkbook.

Is that a typo?

unr-convert
February 18th, 2010, 03:49 PM
What typo? You mean computesr? Yes, I did reverse two letters. You mean 3 computers? Yes, I have a Win 7, and XP and the UNR netbook in my LAN.

cariboo907
February 18th, 2010, 11:11 PM
No I meant the workgroup name, in an earlier post it said OEMWORKGROUP, and in the post I was referring to you have oemworkbook. the systems all have to be in the same workgroup.