PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu onto another computer's hard drive

CartCollector
February 14th, 2010, 11:49 PM
So here's the deal. The hard drive on my laptop running Windows XP recently crashed. I believe the hard drive still works, however, some of the Windows boot files are probably missing or corrupted. I tried using Last Known Good Configuration, which gives me a BSOD, as well as Safe Mode, which loads a few directories and then also gives me a BSOD. So I planned to use Ubuntu as a rescue disk, but then I remembered that the CD drive didn't work and the laptop couldn't boot from USB either. BUT... My family has two other laptops. So what I'm thinking is, I could put my laptop's hard drive into another laptop's hard drive space, boot using an Ubuntu LiveCD, pull out all of the valuable files on my hard drive to a USB stick, create a new Ubuntu partition on the hard drive, then stick the hard drive back into my laptop. Will this work?

mharrison
February 14th, 2010, 11:51 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I do this all the time for a crashed hard drive and I've never had a problem.

Good luck!

C.S.Cameron
February 15th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Often windows is married to the motherboard. A safety feature that prevents cloning the o/s from one machine to another. but you can pull files off it using the thumbdrive.
If you save them to filesystem/cdrom you can retrieve them when you plug into windows.
If you save them to home or desktop they get stored in a loop file named casper-rw.
It is not easy for windows to access them there.