PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Logitech Wireless Keyboard OSD?

walt.smith1960
February 14th, 2010, 11:14 PM
I just purchased a Logitech MK300 wireless keyboard. Using 9.10_64 and most things are plug & play--volume, shortcut keys etc. The one thing I don't have is On Screen Display for Caps Lock status. Wireless keyboards don't have LED Capslock and Numlock indicators like wired keyboards. The keyboard comes with a CD which has (Windows only:mad:) software to add this function. Not knowing the state of the Caps Lock key can make entering passwords hit and miss. I tried installing "hotkeys" from Synaptic but that didn't seem to work. I'd welcome any thoughts on how to get Caps Lock status onscreen. Thanks.

Tamlynmac
February 15th, 2010, 01:46 AM
I'm not certain about 9.10, but in 9.04 there's a "lock keys" applet (lock-keys-applet) available in the synaptic package manager that will place a visual representation of the keys in question - in your panel.

Good Luck & hope this helps....

Yogotiss
February 15th, 2010, 01:57 AM
I just purchased a Logitech MK300 wireless keyboard. Using 9.10_64 and most things are plug & play--volume, shortcut keys etc. The one thing I don't have is On Screen Display for Caps Lock status. Wireless keyboards don't have LED Capslock and Numlock indicators like wired keyboards. The keyboard comes with a CD which has (Windows only:mad:) software to add this function. Not knowing the state of the Caps Lock key can make entering passwords hit and miss. I tried installing "hotkeys" from Synaptic but that didn't seem to work. I'd welcome any thoughts on how to get Caps Lock status onscreen. Thanks.

Is there any specific reason why you are using 9.10_64?

Enigmapond
February 15th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Thank you for that. I have the same keyboard and I never thought to check for an applet...it works just fine. Cheers!

Tamlynmac
February 15th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Enigmapond
Thank you for that. I have the same keyboard and I never thought to check for an applet...it works just fine. Cheers! Glad it worked for you... Good Luck

walt.smith1960
February 15th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Thank You Tamlynmac that seems to work nicely. Useful on Netbooks without status indicators as well. There are some useful and friendly boards on the www. This is one.

walt.smith1960
February 15th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Is there any specific reason why you are using 9.10_64?
64 bit processor and 4 Gig RAM, it seemed reasonable to try an OS that seems appropriate to the hardware. I'd heard of some problems with drivers etc. and being the kind of guy who has to pee on the electric fence to see for myself :rolleyes: I installed the 64 bit version of 9.10. So far so good although this machine is not used for demanding tasks.

thecliff
February 15th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Im using 9.10 64 bit and haven't had any issues so far.

Tamlynmac
February 15th, 2010, 08:23 PM
walt.smith1960
Thank You Tamlynmac that seems to work nicely. Useful on Netbooks without status indicators as well. There are some useful and friendly boards on the www. This is one.

No problem - Glad I could help.

This "is" the best forum on the net. People here, are community minded and enjoy helping each other. The whole concept behind Ubuntu/Linux is Humanity. Sounds corny, but I believe it works. In the help sections of this forum, it's all about users helping other users.

IMHO, it doesn't get any better than that. But to each their own. Someday, you may be able to help me solve a problem or point me in the right direction.

Good Luck & I'm pleased it worked for you.

Joeasaurus
July 5th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Hi, i realise I'm trudging up an old thread here but the lock-keys-applet isn't the answer I was looking for. I want an actual OSD notification as opposed to an applet. Maybe something using notify-send? Can any one hep?

Joeasaurus
July 6th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Bump

Joeasaurus
July 7th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Bump bump. Please? Anyone?

thehand
April 10th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Install "gkrellm" and "gkrellm-leds".
In GKrellM, go to "Properties" tab under "General" under "Configuration" (right-click on gkrellm) and select "Set on top of other windows of the same type". LEDs can be found in the "Plugins" section of GKrellM configuration.
Also, the led plugin is not really 'aligned' to the key state of the keyboard, it just uses a variable or something that is toggled on or off when you press a "Lock" button on the keyboard.

Sorry about making a zombie thread, but if I came across this thread while I was looking for the answer to the same question Joeasaurus asked (from Google), then other people will too.