PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] network purgatory... am I actually in hadies??

*Boots*
February 14th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Hi I'm Boots running ubuntu 9.10 netbook remix on my averatec 1000 series laptop.

I got ubuntu. I am thrilled with its speed, but thats it... It boots(yeah thats me) up and shuts down really fast, the install was a dream, but when i decided to jump on the net I feel like I'm walking through a sea of saltwater taffy. Its going slow... kinda like watching paint grow.....

Ok specifically when I start to download all that restricted stuff(the things for some reason they can't include on the original install) the sofware center shuts me down and says noway ref imgr screen shots(http://imgur.com/FLO8cl&IsLNI&8OCLJ).

I fixed my first problem with sudo nano /etc/resolve.conf and put my nameservers in there. Now I can reach half the internet. Some websites take forever to load, and there's no real method or pattern to the misses. Its like I'm surfing through swiss cheese. Yahoo, and google(heretofor refered to as Y&G) ping really well, tracerouts are the same to those sites so I know I'm getting out there, but why I can't download something from the software center I do not know. Y&G load up every time have problems with doing things because all the bells and whistles don't download.. downloads from random web pages are hit and miss.

Boots from the river styx askin halp!!!!

cariboo907
February 15th, 2010, 12:46 AM
If it's only the rpositoires you are having a problem with, go to System-->Administration-->Software Sources and change the server you are downloading from. Click the Download from dropdown and select other, next click Select Best Server button and let the system find the fastest server for you.

*Boots*
February 15th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Still in the great evil microwave down below..... the 'chose best server' option chose a server in the ukrain and then had the audacity to not work. btw I'm in NYC:)

Oh yeah my averatec is a second cousin to the msi wind if that makes any difference...