PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] totally crashed my ubuntu - can i fix it form live cd?

Caramin
February 14th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Hello!

I made a mistake trying to change ubuntu (karmic koala) to studio - the system isn't bootable anymore. I am currently running from CD. I used some thread with an explanation how to install without iso. - but I don't find it anymore. While doing the first changes (in terminal) I decided to download the ubuntu studio iso and ended the terminal, because it seemed to complicated....it surely was... ( I think some kernel or something was erased from harddisc to be replaced).

Can I repair it from here (live -CD?)

THX!!!

niffcreature
February 14th, 2010, 09:44 PM
that was a bad guide. if it was telling you to the kernel with a realtime one instead of just add one, thats ridiculous. there is an ubuntu wiki page for upgrading to studio from normal ubuntu.
most people never get rid of their normal kernel, and if they install ubuntu studio from scratch they have another installation too.
if you were halfway through actually replacing a kernel then there probably isnt any hope.
but it sounds really unlikely that is really the case. try installing ubuntu studio on a new partition, it may very well have been something simple such as the bootloader

phillw
February 14th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hi,

When your computer starts, does grub give you any option of a kernel to boot into ?

Regards,

Phill.

Caramin
February 14th, 2010, 09:50 PM
would that make the ubuntu on the first partition work again? btw - I am not sure it was the kernel. it just doesn't boot.

Caramin
February 14th, 2010, 09:51 PM
@phillw (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=824544) unfortunaltely just nothung happens - when I try to boot.

niffcreature
February 14th, 2010, 10:02 PM
well, then you should check your power button, jack and battery lol

what do you mean by that? it stays at the bios screen?

if grub doesnt exist anymore then you can reinstall it easily with any ubuntu cd

Caramin
February 14th, 2010, 10:07 PM
:)
no no id needs a while and then I get the message that there is no bootable system. powerbutton works fine, the notebook is just one week old (as my experience with ubuntu :) ) - just had to read what grub means..

how could I repair grub - or is there some way checking the system through live-cd terminal?

phillw
February 14th, 2010, 10:13 PM
If you can boot with LiveCD, then you can put a kernel on - We've just had a similar issue, so the instructions are pretty freshly written :D

The thread in its entirety is here --> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1406761

The instructions from that thread are that new, they're only on my test area, but you can get them here --> http://forum.phillw.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35&p=50#p50

Regards,

Phill.

Caramin
February 14th, 2010, 10:24 PM
thx a lot befor i start trying this have some more infos

i was searching parallely and i found what i've done - i just did the fist step here - than i was asked something in the terminal and i quit! i ran a while, but then i tried to restart and it didn't work..

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubuntu%20Studio%20Upgrade%20from%20Ubuntu

phillw
February 14th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Hi, well, not knowing how far you got, does make it difficult !!

sudo aptitude ..... linux-rt

Had put on a new kernel, if you haven't finished the installation, your system is quite probably very confused, hence not being able to find an OS to boot.

I'd suggest putting on the kernel as per the instructions in the link I posted. That should take you back to Ubuntu.

From there, you can go get Ubuntu-Studio again - Only this time, let it complete ;)

Regards,

Phill.

Caramin
February 14th, 2010, 11:28 PM
It worked! Shalalalalala! Thank you! Thank you! Without your help i'd really be lost. I wish you the best!!!

phillw
February 14th, 2010, 11:35 PM
It worked! Shalalalalala! Thank you! Thank you! Without your help i'd really be lost. I wish you the best!!!

Now I can tell you that you're the first person to use those instructions, we were still actually editing them as you were doing them !!! (nothin major, just issued a sudo -i at the start instead of multiple sudos') - although you may have caught the final version ;)

I'm real glad it helped :p

Regards,

Phill.