PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] workspace switcher: oops vanish...

confubar
February 14th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Several times now I have made some careless gesture around the workspace switcher and the work on the space that is not open at the time vanishes. I have learned to save my work, but what could be happening here????

chaanakya_chiraag
February 14th, 2010, 07:06 PM
What exactly happens? Do all the programs on the inactive workspace close??

confubar
February 15th, 2010, 06:37 PM
What exactly happens? Do all the programs on the inactive workspace close??
When it has happened, I had Gimp open with ongoing work in the inactive workspace, turned to the other workspace temporarily... Gimp worked ok when I reopened it. It reopened is if it had been closed.

chaanakya_chiraag
February 15th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Are you clicking on the Workspace switcher at all?

confubar
February 15th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Are you clicking on the Workspace switcher at all?
Not deliberately clicking, but my laptop has a tickley touchpad. It has happened several times when my attention is on something else. I may have made a downward gesture in that part of the screen. i use two workspaces, and it is the left one, the one next to the trash, that this has happened with.

chaanakya_chiraag
February 15th, 2010, 07:36 PM
If you scroll on the workspace switcher applet, it will scroll to the next workspace. It will look like your applications disappeared. Is that what is happening?

confubar
February 16th, 2010, 06:06 PM
If you scroll on the workspace switcher applet, it will scroll to the next workspace. It will look like your applications disappeared. Is that what is happening?
Definitely not. I switch back and forth between spaces all the time, and the first thing I did was look for the missing window in the other space. My guess was that there was some kind of gesture thingy that closes windows on the switcher applet, but I can't research it because I have I have no keywords to work with.

chaanakya_chiraag
February 16th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Hmmm...that's weird. See if switching workspaces without using the Workspace Switcher Applet by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Right Arrow/Left Arrow does the same thing. My guess is that it's a bug with the Workspace Switcher Applet and you should file a bug.

confubar
February 17th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Yeah, that method of switching works, and the switcher works ok in general. Blender 3d software uses gestures with the mouse for input, and I suspected something like that.
Really am not sure what I did, so a bug report would be dumbass useless.

chaanakya_chiraag
February 17th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Has it happened again?

confubar
February 17th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I moused around trying to make it happen, and nothing. This seems to be a always-save-work and don't worry about it thing.

chaanakya_chiraag
February 17th, 2010, 10:11 PM
If it hasn't happened again, I would just not worry about it and save often (as you said). I'm not sure what could have happened, but if you find a way to duplicate the issue, please post :)

grandsatrap
March 20th, 2010, 03:55 PM
HEY! This has happened to me too. I just installed 9.04 on my laptop this week and my touchpad does crazy things to the workspaces.

Sometimes as I move the mouse it randomly slides to another workspace. Sometimes my applications just close as it goes to another workspace. I can't duplicate it reliably. The closing is not as common as the sudden switching.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 1501.

**Is there anyway to prevent the touchpad from switching workspaces? I want to only use the shortcut keys.**

chaanakya_chiraag
March 20th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Hmmm...I'm not sure what's going on...is there any specific reason for why you are using jaunty and not karmic? Maybe this bug has been fixed in Karmic...