PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to make .png into .ico to make executable?

Mark_in_Hollywood
February 14th, 2010, 03:27 AM
I have a .png (attached to this post). I want to make it either a panel or desktop icon to call Thunderbird-Eudora. How can I do this?

nexx
February 14th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Use gimp to open your image, set the size of the image (if ico is to be used for a website it is 16px X 16 px or 32px X 32 px) and save as .ico
:p

Mark_in_Hollywood
February 14th, 2010, 04:20 AM
I have no available selection under Gimp's "Save As" for a .ico extension

2 minutes later:

Sorry I see I have a Microsoft .ico extension.

Rhubarb
February 14th, 2010, 04:29 AM
If you're using the icon on your Ubuntu dekstop / panel, you don't need to convert it into an .ico file. Just leave it as png.
Ubuntu can use any picture as an icon.

lovinglinux
February 14th, 2010, 04:50 AM
If you're using the icon on your Ubuntu dekstop / panel, you don't need to convert it into an .ico file. Just leave it as png.
Ubuntu can use any picture as an icon.

+1

Make sure the image has the size of the maximum displayed size you want, so it doesn't lose quality when sized up. You could also convert it to svg, so it can be scaled on demand. I suppose inkscape should be able to do that.

If you want to generate an ico to use on a web site as favicon, then go to http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/

Mark_in_Hollywood
February 14th, 2010, 05:55 AM
How do I associate the icon with the program?

Rhubarb
February 14th, 2010, 06:05 AM
That depends on where the program is located.

In your applications menu?
As an icon in the panel?
As an icon on your desktop?

If it's in your applications menu, you can configure the shortcut's icon by right clicking on "Applications" and selecting "Edit Menus". From there find the application, click on properties, and click on the existing icon of the application button (top left of the "Launcher Properties" window).

If it's a shortcut on your desktop (a launcher) or in one of your panels, just right click on it, and select properties, and click on the existing icon of the application button (top left of the "Launcher Properties" window).