View Full Version : [ubuntu] Just installed Ubuntu, getting hard drive failure message

February 14th, 2010, 01:56 AM
I just installed Ubuntu in a dual-boot with Vista. Upon starting Ubuntu for the first time, I received a warning that my hard drive now has many bad sectors (232 to be exact). I had created a separate partition in Vista and then created virtual partitions of that space using the Ubuntu installer to make the swap and root partitions.

The device in question is 320 GB with about 10 GB for Vista recovery, 120 GB for the Ubuntu partition and the remainder given to Vista.

Booting in Vista, I get no warnings or messages, but Ubuntu recommends backing up data and replacing the drive. Any advice?

February 14th, 2010, 03:04 AM
You probably have to reinstall and see if it is working the second time. Some thing might have gone wrong in installation process.

Or for your help, Im attaching a link for the Ubuntu INstallation Manual.

Stick to it. Hit us back if there is any problem after you install just as per manual.

February 14th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I had actually installed from those directions... Ubuntu works, I just keep getting these warnings.

February 14th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Palimpsest tells me I have 26 million unrecoverable errors but my laptop works fine.
I think it's a bug and I don't know why it is shipped with 9.10.
I just ignore it!