PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] problem with Software Center

djmd
February 14th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Just installed Ubuntu today for the first time... so far so good, except I cannot install anything with the Software Center. There is no "install" button when I look at available software, and 'install' on the drop-down is grayed out.

I'm logged in with the ID I created when I installed. Also, I seem to be able to install packages with Synaptic, so I don't think it's a permissions issue. I'm sure it's somethint dumb though...

appreciate the help!

nhasian
February 14th, 2010, 12:23 AM
on fresh installs, sometimes people forget to do system updates. open up a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

You will have a lot of updates including updates to the kernel and software-center. most likely you will need to reboot as well. then the software center will operate properly.

sisco311
February 14th, 2010, 12:29 AM
Just installed Ubuntu today for the first time... so far so good, except I cannot install anything with the Software Center. There is no "install" button when I look at available software, and 'install' on the drop-down is grayed out.

I'm logged in with the ID I created when I installed. Also, I seem to be able to install packages with Synaptic, so I don't think it's a permissions issue. I'm sure it's somethint dumb though...

appreciate the help!

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Press Alt+F2 & run:

/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
then try to run software-center again. If the install button works, then go to System -> Preferences -> Startup Application and enable PolicyKit Authentication Agent or add /usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 to the startup applications.

djmd
February 14th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the quick replies! Strangely enough, the install button started appearing after I posted that question... but also, the update manager popped up, so I just finished all the system updates... anyway, seems to be working fine now.

I'm pretty excited about this- literally haven't installed Linux since my last 486. Boy have times changed... haha. Inherited a Dell Dimension 2400 and thought it would be a perfect machine to experiment with :)