PDA

View Full Version : App suggestion: Stellarium

angkor
March 6th, 2006, 09:58 PM
For those who are interested in astronomy / astrology, check out Stellarium (http://www.stellarium.org/)

Stellarium is a wonderful GPL cross platform app which renders realistic skies in real time with openGL.

I like it a lot so I thought I'd share it with those who haven't heard of it yet.

It's in the universe repos btw:

sudo apt-get install stellarium.

Grtz,

Angkor

Ahriman
March 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Nice. I've played around a bit with Celestia, but I'll give this a go.

Astronomy has been a hobby of mine since I learnt that the lights in the sky at night weren't alien invaders or fireflies, like my brother said ...

angkor
March 6th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Cool, didn't know about Celestia, thanks!

And it's also in the repos...I keep on being amazed how much free software there is in there...:)

quietglow
March 7th, 2006, 03:03 AM
This has to be one of the nicest software packages I've looked at recently...thank you so much for pointing it out. These developers deserve some serious $ I think...did you see that one of them has a business selling planetariums? So cool...

Edit: OMG I just opened the program on my 1900x1200 23" Cinema Display and it was literally breathtaking...this is one incredible piece of work

LKRaider
March 7th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I have problems running it. The text is all weird (like using a symbols font).

angkor
March 7th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Edit: OMG I just opened the program on my 1900x1200 23" Cinema Display and it was literally breathtaking...this is one incredible piece of work

Ooo, that must be like having an extra window in your room! :) I'm jealous....I'm gonna get me a screen like that some day.

I have problems running it. The text is all weird (like using a symbols font).

Any error messages when you start it from the terminal?

Sirin
March 7th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Ooo, that must be like having an extra window in your room! :) I'm jealous....I'm gonna get me a screen like that some day.

If you think the 23" is nice, take a look at the 30" HD!

LEFT: 23" ; RIGHT: 30"

http://images.apple.com/displays/images/indexcompdisplay06282004-02.jpghttp://images.apple.com/displays/images/indexcompdisplay06282004-03.jpg

angkor
March 8th, 2006, 12:12 AM
:shock:

Man! And I thought 19" was quite large...

I'd probably hurt my neck playing frozen bubble on the 30" one though....;)

quietglow
March 8th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I'd probably hurt my neck playing frozen bubble on the 30" one though..

LOL!

Seriously, the next time I'm at compusa, I'm going to install this on their test machine with the 30" CD. You really have to turn your head from side to side when using that thing while sitting right in front of it. I imagine Stellarium on it would be incredible.

And yeah, it really is like a window. The effect in a dark room is so dang amazing. It also got me outside to do some stargazing last night for the first time in a couple of years: seeing the conjunction of the moon, saturn and mars (well almost conjunction) was super neat.

Nice, nice software. We need to somehow come up with a way in which gems like this get some publicity.

LKRaider
March 8th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Any error messages when you start it from the terminal?

This is what it spits out:

lkraider@ubuntu:~$ stellarium

-----------------------------------------
| ## ### ### # # ### ### # # # # #|
| # # ## # # ### ## # # # ###|
|## # ### ### ### # # # # # ### # #|
| Stellarium 0.7.1|
-----------------------------------------

Copyright (C) 2000-2005 Fabien Chereau et al.

Please check last version and send bug report & comments
on stellarium web page : http://www.stellarium.org

Loading configuration file /home/lkraider/.stellarium/config.ini ...
Locale is pt_BR.UTF-8
Loading location: "Paris", (landscape is: "guereins")
Loading Hipparcos star data (118218 stars loaded).
Loading nebulas data (73 deep space objects)...
Loading Solar System data...
Error opening /usr/share/stellarium/data/cardinals.por.fab
Using international star names.
Loading configuration file /home/lkraider/.stellarium/config.ini ...
Looking for startup script to run.
Script completed.
lkraider@ubuntu:~$

I have posted a bug-report @ https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/stellarium/+bug/33988 where you can see the screenshots of the problem.

Maybe it is my locale setting which is trashing the glyph display ?
Or maybe is because I'm running XGL?

angkor
March 8th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I haven't tried it with xgl yet, I'll check later tonight and let you know if I experience the same.

angkor
March 8th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Hm, doesn't even load for me with XGL enabled....I get to look at the splash screen for ages.

It probably has something to do with xgl, could be something in the new dapper version though.

Edit: It does run without xgl but I get the same problem you have with unreadable text and strange symbols.

LKRaider
March 13th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Could you confirm the bug at launchpad then? Whoever is supposed to take care of this package has given no attention as of yet : (

https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/stellarium/+bug/33988

pisuke
October 26th, 2006, 03:21 PM
problem solved.

BLTicklemonster
October 29th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Problem solved? I got a pm from someone using xgl, and stellarium crashes when launched.

NoVista
October 29th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Tried it on my setup and yup, three times booted me right out of the OS and the machine was logging out. On the final time, it really messed something up, because even though I could boot back to the OS, I had a black screen. (Not the usual ATI problem black screen). I think either compiz or even more so xgl was the culprit.

I would try running it again from terminal to get an output, but ssince it totally trashed my system, I don't dare. I spent an hour trying to get the OS back, and couldn't. Good thing I had an image file of my partition so I was able to get back to normal.

Dang, looks like a very sweet program.

And no, turning off XGL really isn't an option, as the latest ATI 8.42 drivers aren't mature enough to run without XGL.

BLTicklemonster
October 29th, 2007, 01:14 AM
Dang. Have you tried using kstars? No where near as cool, but functional.

NoVista
October 29th, 2007, 02:31 AM
No, I haven't. Thanks for the tip and I'll install it.
It better be XGL/Fusion friendly.

BLTicklemonster
October 29th, 2007, 02:34 AM
I heard that!

just open a terminal, and type

sudo aptitude install kstars

NoVista
January 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Well, well, well.

I just realized that it is not XGL being responsible for not letting me run Stellarium.
It's compiz-fusion. If I turn off CP, I can run Stellarium, and oh wow I can finally see what an absolutely great program this is! I wish I had all this when I was 12 years old.

gsss124
April 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hi,
I was having a similar startup crash (segmentation-core dump) problem, have no xgl and but compiz is there.
Found this while searching for a solution:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/stellarium/+bug/68724

It says in the last posts by t3rmin4t0r:
Quick workaround:

bash$ LANG=C stellarium

But, Compz stops running on my system.
But also, Stellarium is a wonderful program:). Hope this helps someone.

PS Is there any other non bash solution that keeps compiz running?

goggins
May 12th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Stelarium looks like it might be really good, but the configuration panel is driving me crazy. How do you select a location and make it stick?