PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Strange files in video directory

peakshysteria
February 13th, 2010, 06:28 PM
From time to time out of nowhere i find three files in my default Video library. These are called:

khq, khw and lzpgiv.exe. If I delete the files they automatically come back after some time. Can anybody tell me where these files come from and what's their purpose?

corncob
February 13th, 2010, 06:40 PM
From time to time out of nowhere i find three files in my default Video library. These are called:

khq, khw and lzpgiv.exe. If I delete the files they automatically come back after some time. Can anybody tell me where these files come from and what's their purpose?

".exe" tells me its a Windows program. That is strange. Try running a virus scan on it (clamwin or something).

switch10
February 13th, 2010, 07:03 PM
are they all .exe files?

How are you removing them?? GUI or command line?

peakshysteria
February 13th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Only the one of them is an .exe file. As you can see also running only single boot. To delete them when they appear I just mark them and delete them. Then empty the thrash folder

And yeah, it really does sound like a virus. It doesn't bother me to much though. I wonder if it can be passed via Amsn? Can some of my contact using Windows Live Messenger pass something bad (that Ubuntu doesn't execute at all?)? I know in the past some of my contacts have been infected. Just a thought though, not really sure this is the case...

SOULRiDER
February 13th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Only the one of them is an .exe file. As you can see also running only single boot. To delete them when they appear I just mark them and delete them. Then empty the thrash folder

And yeah, it really does sound like a virus. It doesn't bother me to much though. I wonder if it can be passed via Amsn? Can some of my contact using Windows Live Messenger pass something bad (that Ubuntu doesn't execute at all?)? I know in the past some of my contacts have been infected. Just a thought though, not really sure this is the case...

It is possible that AMSN does have some security flaws. However, even if you manage to get a virus from AMSN, you will not even be able to execute Windows code, so you're totally safe.

But just in case, check what it is you're getting.

peakshysteria
February 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM
It is possible that AMSN does have some security flaws. However, even if you manage to get a virus from AMSN, you will not even be able to execute Windows code, so you're totally safe.

But just in case, check what it is you're getting.

I'm pretty sure your right. I'm not sure at all how to check where the files comes from though. I forgot to mention that all three files have No Write Emblems. Checking the properties of the files doesn't tell me anything.

corncob
February 13th, 2010, 11:58 PM
There's Virus Scanner in Ubuntu Software Center > System Tools.