PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What am I going to do?

YBYNTU
February 13th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Hi

I've installed Ubuntu, I Like it! But I dont want to just use it for surfing the net and messing about with the available apps. I want to do more....

Has anyone got any suggestions for what I could do learn more and get something out of using it. Bearing in mind I'm new to this.

What does everyone else do with it?

underquark
February 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Install Stellarium and look at the night sky.
Get a webcam and take time-lapse photo's of your area.
Learn Python.

ubunterooster
February 13th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I use OpenOffice to replace ms word and excel. Thunderbird for mail. Gwibber for facebook (it can be used for twitter and other social networking as well). Exhaile for playing music, Audacity for editing it.
Anything ms can do Linux probably can do better: "can ms do it? maybe. Can Linux do it? Yes it can!"
Okay, that was bad. If there is anything you want to do, just go to the forums and ask; it's most likely already been done :) welcome to freedom

redbook4574
February 13th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hi

I've installed Ubuntu, I Like it! But I dont want to just use it for surfing the net and messing about with the available apps. I want to do more....

Has anyone got any suggestions for what I could do learn more and get something out of using it. Bearing in mind I'm new to this.

What does everyone else do with it?

Simple decide what you want to do, check synaptic for the necessary program module and do it.

redbook4574
February 13th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Simple decide what you want to do, check synaptic for the necessary program module and do it.

Or alternately - go to ebay - find my sellers items - buy them all. But seriously if you can imagine doing it you probably can with ubuntu.

Grenage
February 13th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Install Stellarium and look at the night sky.

What a lovely piece of software!

Thomas Garman
February 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Install the entire audio package and start mixing your own music and making songs with LMMS

Learn Ruby

Edit some photos (I downloaded Google's Picasa and it is vastly simpler to use than GIMP).

YBYNTU
February 13th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Chhers for the ideas guys, I look forward to lots of fun with Ubuntu