PDA

View Full Version : Some Gimp Art from myself. (Mass Effect 2)

Minipalmer
February 13th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Hey guys,

Been working the past few weeks on a couple of Mass Effect pieces (after beating Mass Effect 2). Both were created in Gimp using my Wacom Bamboo tablet.

Comments and critique always appreciated!

The first is Garrus from Mass Effect 1.

The second (unfinished) is Thane, from Mass Effect 2.

Edit: Now finished!

http://i46.tinypic.com/akh8j5.png (http://tpalmer.deviantart.com/art/Thane-Mass-Effect-2-154318768)

skaneda
February 13th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Im absolutely exausted due to lack of sleep so i'll keep the message short if you dont mind haha :)

nice work man, you do much in the design field?

Minipalmer
February 13th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Haha, no problem. No, I don't do much graphic design. But I'm in my first year of college and majoring in graphic design, so I'll get there eventually. ;)

goldshirt9
February 13th, 2010, 06:51 PM
nice work

texaswriter
February 13th, 2010, 06:52 PM
nice work!!:popcorn::KS:p

skaneda
February 14th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Yea? I've done some design work, but nothing quite like that, mainly concept stuff and logo's.

Minipalmer
February 14th, 2010, 06:03 AM
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I've had the ability to help my dad with his business a little bit. I helped design and print some business cards and flyers. All done with Gimp!

s.fox
February 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Oh wow!

That is looking fantastic! :) Really nice to see, thank you for sharing your work with the community.

-Silver Fox

durand
February 15th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Looks very good. Maybe you should antialias your text? It would make it look nicer.

Minipalmer
February 15th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Looks very good. Maybe you should antialias your text? It would make it look nicer.

Well, I know the text looks bad. I had it looking better earlier when I realized that I had spelled something wrong. Then I didn't really spend much time making the new one, so it looks bad. Meh :D Appreciate the comment though.

Thanks for the compliments thus far. I should have that second piece done soon.

durand
February 15th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Do you hand paint it from scratch in the gimp or do something else first?

Minipalmer
February 16th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Do you hand paint it from scratch in the gimp or do something else first?
I'm not sure what you mean by "do something else", but I started with a blank canvas and started painting. Used pictures for reference. Once I was done, I overlayed some textures for realism.

durand
February 16th, 2010, 03:26 AM
I mean like tracing screenshots or drawing by hand first.

Minipalmer
February 16th, 2010, 04:08 AM
I mean like tracing screenshots or drawing by hand first.
A bit of both. I try not to trace at all because it feels like cheating. If I'm really struggling with perspective, though, I will trace small bits.

The first piece was not traced at all. The second is an alteration of pose I found in a screenshot, and was somewhat traced for angle.

However, when I trace it is only for main outer lines, and the rest is filled in without the original image.

Minipalmer
February 16th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Hey guys! Finished that second piece. Not too happy with some of it, but just really needed to finish it.

(Click for Hi Res at DeviantArt)

http://i46.tinypic.com/akh8j5.png (http://tpalmer.deviantart.com/art/Thane-Mass-Effect-2-154318768)

durand
February 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Pretty neat though the forehead looks a bit too shiny..

WannabeFantasma
February 16th, 2010, 09:33 PM
wow :o
awsome :)
I can't even "Photoshop" on Gimp....

Minipalmer
February 16th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Pretty neat though the forehead looks a bit too shiny..
Thanks, but I think it looks fine.

wow
awsome
I can't even "Photoshop" on Gimp....
Thanks! Sure you can. If you know how to use Photoshop, you know how to use Gimp.

WannabeFantasma
February 18th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Thanks, but I think it looks fine.

Thanks! Sure you can. If you know how to use Photoshop, you know how to use Gimp.

Problem is, I can't Photoshop! :D
(lol)
ATM too busy for school/evening school.... so no time to learn how to use gimp :( (got some tutorials stored for if I want to learn though!)
kinda hate this too busy life (wish I just quit evening school for a year and pick it up after finishing regular school...)
Ah well making things like my avatar<<<<<<(on the left) is kinda fun too! :D -> that's all I can do on GIMP :D

Maheriano
February 18th, 2010, 12:40 AM
In the officer? Was she hot?

Minipalmer
February 18th, 2010, 01:14 AM
In the officer? Was she hot?
... what?

Maheriano
February 18th, 2010, 09:19 PM
... what?
The text on the image says he was, "...in the officer in charge..." I was making fun of a typo asking if she (the officer) was hot.

Minipalmer
February 19th, 2010, 02:05 AM
The text on the image says he was, "...in the officer in charge..." I was making fun of a typo asking if she (the officer) was hot.
LOL. Dangit! That's the second typo I made on that image. You're the first to notice it. Crap, I need to check my work better before I publish.