PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu doesnt reboot after security update

orcurrentresident
February 13th, 2010, 03:32 AM
I'm currently running Ubuntu 9.10 x64. After a recent security update my ubuntu refuses to reboot from the system menu. If I click System --> Shutdown and choose Restart, Ubuntu logs me out and immediately presents me with a Log-in Screen.

I can force a reboot by going to a terminal and doing a "sudo init 6" command

At the same time, my internet started behaving strangely. immediately after starting up, i can access the internet perfectly fine. Within 30 minutes of being rebooted, I am unable to access google.com or gmail. (i'm still able to access most other sites.) I've tried restarting my cable modem & router but the only thing that seems to fix it is doing a reboot via "init 6".

The two problems may be unrelated, but since they started at the same time I thought I'd mention it.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or icecream will be greatly appreciated. (especially the icecream)

Thanks in advance!

byStanderone
February 13th, 2010, 05:04 AM
...have you tried a restore mode?

jken146
February 13th, 2010, 05:19 AM
It's rather crude to use telinit to reboot. Instead you ought to use the command
sudo shutdown -r now

orcurrentresident
February 14th, 2010, 06:37 PM
It's rather crude to use telinit to reboot. Instead you ought to use the command
sudo shutdown -r now

I know its crude... but when I try to use "shutdown" it says command not found.

omatic@omatic-desktop:~$ sudo shutdown -r
[sudo] password for omatic:
sudo: shutdown: command not found
omatic@omatic-desktop:~$

thoughts?

orcurrentresident
February 14th, 2010, 06:38 PM
...have you tried a restore mode?

Yes.. I've tried to restore but no luck...

orcurrentresident
February 14th, 2010, 08:22 PM
My computer can't seem to find other core programs, too.

[sudo] password for omatic:
sudo: wget: command not found

jken146
February 14th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Looks like you might have removed a load of packages that you didn't want to. Try
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

Julita
February 14th, 2010, 11:20 PM
For your reboot problem, type in terminal

sudo reboot that should do the trick, you will see if there are any errors. As to your shaky internet connection, try wicd instead of Network Manager because the latter is confirmed to be less stable.