PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu remix back to Windows XP??

ethan073
February 13th, 2010, 12:41 AM
I mistakenly put Ubuntu netbook remix on my computer thinking i was reinstalling windows xp. i tried it out for a few weeks, but i need all my windows software back now. With this HP Mini (no internal disc drive), can someone please show me how to get XP back?

I found an XP image creator i could instal with a flash drive, but it didn't include any of the drivers i needed for sound, internet, etc. - and then every time i tried to install the drivers from hp's website it would give a corrupted file error message.

I've been in contact with HP email support and they gave instructions on how to boot into safe mode and do a system recovery back to a particular date, but pressing F8 repeatedly at startup doesn't take me to safe mode, in fact it doesn't do anything.

I really wish i could just find an XP restore image creator for a USB flash install like i did with Ubuntu. But for some reason getting back to XP doesn't appear to be that easy?

Neeeeeed XP back, please help if you can!

crlang13
February 13th, 2010, 01:02 AM
May I ask why you need Windows back?

Is it because you'd prefer Windows on your netbook? Or do you need to use a specific piece of software only available in Windows?

Also, are you planning on duel booting once you have Windows back (keep in mind you'll have to install Windows first and then Ubuntu)?

Because if you're just after Windows for one piece of software (and prefer Ubuntu for general use), have you thought about using an emulator? That way you're not installing a whole operating system just for one program.

I hope that gives you some ideas other than trying to deal with getting Windows onto a machine without a CD drive!

Goodluck:D

ethan073
February 13th, 2010, 01:42 AM
i need my computer to serve 3 purposes
1 connect to internet
2 open and use itunes, play my music library and sync with ipod
3 use rosetta stone language learning software

as far as i know, ubuntu is unable to support itunes for my purposes and unable to support rosetta stone. soooo i really am going to need windows back.

i think the netbook remix design is pretty radical and really cool, but i'm unfamiliar with linux and i need things from my comp that this OS cannot yet provide.

mechro
February 13th, 2010, 02:40 AM
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01613138&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN#reinstallxp