PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Desktop dual boot with XP

CaptBry
February 13th, 2010, 12:01 AM
KEYWORDS: Bootloader FSCK automated fix of BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

Dear Developer Ubuntu Programmers; THANK YOU !!!!

XP crashed; totally down to the Blue Screen of Death memory dump. Not to reboot or show any signs of life.

GRUB worked fine, Ubuntu's Bootloader routines correctly found a problem in the ROOT Directory AND FIXED IT.

All I had to do was enter my Root pswd, type FSCK, many 'y's (defaults), and CNTL-D when it was done; fixing microXP's problems - GREAT!!

Now I am going to try a reboot into XP so I may not see you fine folks for a long while.......

THANK YOU for robust, understanding, and intuitive coding.

Sincerely,
CaptBry,
CA

CaptBry
February 22nd, 2010, 05:35 PM
This is posted a week later (projects due) but Ubuntu DID fix the XP side of my Duel(sic) Boot system ( ASUS M2N32-sli Deluxe w AMD dual core 3GHz, 4GBram, IDE boot HD, users data on SATA drives)

It booted into Protect mode once where I ran MalAware and Spybot on all drives. When XP rebooted it was all fixed since Linux had repaired the boot sectors.

Net Story; Ubuntu fixed the problem in MINUTES, instead of the traditional 1day delay to reload winblows.

Maybe every PC should have a Linux Guardian mini OS, that watches the key HD sectors and can launch anti-malware scrubbers from WINE to repair their winblows side drives..... A Linux in EVERY PC!!

Cheers,
CaptBry