PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu - Nvidia - Compiz for newbs?

sozcaps
February 12th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Hi all,

I just discovered Xubuntu and I'm really starting to fall for it. However,
I don't know how to install my 9600GT nvidia driver, and when I google it I get technical mumbo jumbo. Same goes for guides to installing compiz on Xubuntu - I get pages that assume I'm already an expert.

What I'm looking for is a simple(!) guide to get nvidia drivers and compiz working on Xubuntu. Preferrably through the terminal. Is this doable, or is there only the hard way with Xubuntu?

Thanks in advance

achase79
February 12th, 2010, 10:44 PM
If you have an internet connection you just use system->settings->hardware drivers and look to see if the nvidia driver is listed and install it from there.

Scunizi
February 12th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Before doing anything do a full system upgrade.. "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade".. Dist-upgrade will not take you to the next release.

Now in your menus (and it's been a couple years since I've looked at xubuntu) you should have a menu option for "Hardware Drivers" and in there should be an nvidia driver just waiting to be enabled.. enable it then restart the machine for it to take effect.

sozcaps
February 12th, 2010, 11:00 PM
Before doing anything do a full system upgrade.. "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"

Done.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

If you have an internet connection you just use system->settings->hardware drivers and look to see if the nvidia driver is listed and install it from there.
Done.

Looks good so far. And by that I mean, my computer hasn't blown up or anything. Restarting, brb :)

sozcaps
February 12th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Gah. Now it boots into a resolution my monitor can't handle. :-({|=

A very black screen is all I get now.

If I reinstall and start over, is there anything I can do to prevent the Nvidia drivers from again defaulting to some strange resolution?

Scunizi
February 12th, 2010, 11:18 PM
xrandr will now handle the settings for resolution and refresh rate.. if you have a crt vs. a LCD monitor it may not have picked up the right resolution.. from cli (ctrl+alt+F1-6) login and type xrandr.. it will list the resolutions the graphics server is currently capable of displaying.. if what you want is listed then a google search for xrandr will show you how to change the default OR correct a missing resolution from the list.

sozcaps
February 12th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Thank you, I'll try and see what happens.

sozcaps
February 13th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Tried
sudo xrandr -output LVDS -mode 800*600
can't remember the error message and I tried
sudo xrandr -s 800*600 and got and it says [Can't open display]

other than those two examples I'm clueless as to how to use xrandr. When I do xrandr --help, it scrolls past the text and it won't do xrandr --help|more :(

How do I get xrandr to switch my xubuntu to a displayable resolution and refresh rate - like 800*600@50 hz?