PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] strange graphics issue...

fortyseven05
February 12th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I just installed ubuntu yesterdayand dl'd and installed the ati driver for linux from atis site. Everything was working fine, except I couldn't open catalyst, but I didn't mind that. Anyway, I restarted my computer several times yesterday and went to bed happy after turning everything off. But this morning when I started my computer back up, the first thing I saw were crazy spots and stripes all over. I can see it running its usual start up nonsence (forgive the lack of technical expertise here lol) and it gets to the ubuntu screen with the progress bar, goes black for a second like normal, before its supposed to bring up the log in screen. But instead of the log in screen, there are no words visible and the screen is covered with white squares. I can't log in or anything. I'm sure there's an easy way to fix this, especially since everything was fine yesterday, but I don't know how to do it.
To complicate things a little more for me, I don't have internet access on my computer, so anything I need to dl, I have to do on my droid first, then xfer it to my comp... pita...

saif_held
February 12th, 2010, 08:23 PM
A faulty screen maybe? Did you try to unplug everything connected to the cord leave it for a while and then give a shot?

I can't think of other reason(s)..

Jefferythewind
February 12th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Yeah there may be a easy way to fix that, but I would just re-install the OS if you have the live CD or bootable usb device, to see if the problem persists. Since you can't even log in it may not be that easy to fix after all.

halitech
February 12th, 2010, 08:25 PM
you don't mention if this is an LCD or CRT monitor but if its an LCD, what happens if you just simply turn the monitor on without turning the computer on? Do you get info about the monitor or a message saying no input?

fortyseven05
February 12th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Brilliant sir. I don't know why I didn't even think about that...switched monitors and fixed the problem =]

Ugh... edit: nevermind... not that you aren't brilliant but apparently that was only a temporary fix. This monitor is doing it too now. Any suggestions anyone? I'm at a loss. I can't change anything on the computer itself because I can't see anything...

fortyseven05
February 12th, 2010, 10:37 PM
you don't mention if this is an LCD or CRT monitor but if its an LCD, what happens if you just simply turn the monitor on without turning the computer on? Do you get info about the monitor or a message saying no input?

To answer your question, this one's an lcd, and yes when I turn it on without being plugged in it says missing input and all that...

fortyseven05
February 12th, 2010, 11:11 PM
I've got another bit of information... its making me think the problem might be my graphics card. When the screen saver pops up (set as solid black) the lines are still going thru the screen.

fortyseven05
February 13th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Ok, so...
I switched out my hd 4890 and threw in my old card...and... everything booted perfectly. So while everything was working I installed the proprietary driver and ccc from ati. Then switched cards again only to find, to my dismay, the same problem still plagues me. So I'm going to contact xfx, they made my card, and see what they say. Ill post it back here so those of you that have read this and moved on because you didn't know how to help will be armed with that knowledge!!! Because knowing is half the battle!!!

fortyseven05
February 14th, 2010, 12:08 AM
xfx only provides drivers and support for operation of their cards under windows.

halitech
February 15th, 2010, 01:37 AM
when you put the HD 4890 back in, do you see anything at boot or does it go black after you get into Ubuntu?

fortyseven05
February 15th, 2010, 08:45 AM
at boot i was seeing, on my 22in monitor, about three inch wide stripes equidistant vertically across my screen. thats how i came to the conclusion that it had to be my card. if it was a problem with my drivers i would only have been having problems once ubuntu actually started up. that and it did the same thing when i booted up windows instead.
in anycase, i actually ended up taking my 4890 back to bestbuy and exchanging it for a 5770. it was the same price for some reason, so im pretty happy about that. i put it in my computer and everything booted up just fine. the driver i got for the 4890 was the same driver i needed for the 5770 so i didnt even have to change anything.
thanks for your effort in solving this little riddle. =)