PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Al

allanw
February 12th, 2010, 10:17 AM
I downloaded some new ubuntu downloads when asked by the pc. When directed to restart the pc so the downloads could take effect I received the following message:
GNU GRUB VERSION 1.97 beta4
[ Minimmal Bash - Like line editing is supported for TAB first word. TAB list possible command completions anywhere ease tab list possible/file completions ]
SH:GRUB>
I cannot go past this message and cannot access the Ubuntu home page. I tried startx but it says that that command is not valid.
Anyones help would be much appreciated.
Allanw

Satoru-san
February 12th, 2010, 10:22 AM
does it let you type :

dmesg

??

EDIT: probably not. If it does though that could tell us a great deal, are you sure that it didn't say kernel panic or something?

Cheezespread
February 12th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I belive you can list the mounted drives from there. Any idea which is your linux parition ?

ls

Have a look here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Using%20CLI%20to%20Boot) if you are ok with command line . Helped me a lot when I had grub issues.Have a look under this title--
Boot a Specific Kernel Manually

wojox
February 12th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Type this at the "sh: grub> " prompt:

search -f --set /vmlinuz
probe -u --set=UUID $root
linux /vmlinuz root=UUID=$UUID ro
initrd /initrd.img
boot

allanw
February 13th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I belive you can list the mounted drives from there. Any idea which is your linux parition ?

ls

Have a look here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Using%20CLI%20to%20Boot) if you are ok with command line . Helped me a lot when I had grub issues.Have a look under this title--
Boot a Specific Kernel Manually

Please forgive my ignorance of the above commands. I inserted the command ls and got the answer of

[ loop 0] [hd 0] [hd 0,3] [hd 0,2] [hd 0,1]

if that tells you anything. I did look in 'here' but couldn't find the title you listed above. i did find one similar but not the same. Still couldn't understand it though. Hope you can be fof further help.

Thanking You
Allan Wehlow

allanw
February 13th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Type this at the "sh: grub> " prompt:

search -f --set /vmlinuz
probe -u --set=UUID $root
linux /vmlinuz root=UUID=$UUID ro
initrd /initrd.img
boot

Absolute beginner with command lines. Is the code above all one line and if not how do you get it to format the way you have done it above. If I press enter to go to the next line I just go back to the SH command.

When I did insert the above commands I received the answer error; no such device/vmlinuz

Hope this is of some help.

Thanking You
Allan Wehlow

allanw
February 13th, 2010, 10:03 AM
does it let you type :

dmesg

??

EDIT: probably not. If it does though that could tell us a great deal, are you sure that it didn't say kernel panic or something?

Typing dmseg just gives error unknown command. No it didnt say kernel panic or anything else except what I originally quoted. Any other help would be appreciated.

Allan Wehlow;)