PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] should i change to 64 bit ubuntu

mapman88
February 12th, 2010, 06:23 AM
Hi All,

So I installed 32 bit Ubuntu a month ago, first time linux usr, and now I have a 64 bit live cd that came with Ubuntu 9.10 the magazine. Since I have a AMD Athlon 64 4000+, would it be to my benefit to install it. I would like to make a separate partition for home anyways, and I don't have anything in my home now. Just a noob looking for a little advice...

Revolutionary101
February 12th, 2010, 06:31 AM
There is no reason to using Ubuntu 64 bit unless you are using over 4 GB of RAM. With only 1 GB of RAM on your computer I would say stay with the 32 bit version.

QIII
February 12th, 2010, 06:35 AM
If you've done nothing and have nothing to lose, it would be a better use of your machine's capabilities.

The industry has pretty much arrived at 64 bit architecture as the "standard", whatever you want "standard" to mean.

Do you need 64 bit? No. If you don't want to go through the trouble, then don't bother. It's not likely you would notice a lot of difference in normal use if you are just using the machine for web surfing, writing documents and the like.

However, if you have greater than 4GB of memory, you won't be able to use it all unless you enable PAE (Physical Address Extension). That will get you the ability to address 64GB of memory. But I doubt you have a motherboard that accepts that much.

A 64 bit OS addresses up to a theoretical limit of 16 exabytes of memory. But unless you have a large dump truck and clear out every Office Depot in a 30 mile radius, you won't find that much memory.

mapman88
February 12th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Thanks Revolutionary101 and QIII',

I can put 4 megs of ram in my motherboard, so I think I'll give it a whirl.

Revolutionary101
February 12th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Glad I could help.