PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newb Here...many questions.

AmbrociousXP
February 12th, 2010, 05:21 AM
Hey there, I have been seeing recently the message in the tea leaves you might say about how Windows is just getting worse and worse and I took a closer look at my alternatives and I found Ubuntu! I have Super OS 9.10 and I am loving it so far but I do have some major snags and I really would love some help.

First problem: I have a Belkin USB wireless N connector that can connect into my Belkin wireless N router upstairs. I followed the instructions from THIS (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=863591) website on how to set up my Belkin Wireless USB connections but it still didn't work right. This is by far my biggest problem. I really want to steer away from Microsoft and dive into Ubuntu but so far my snag of all times is not being able to easily connect to the internet wireless.

My second problem...well when I have one I'll post it LOL! But for now, can I please get some really good info or guides on how to do this the right way? Thanks and I look forward to some great days ahead with Ubuntu!

crlang13
February 12th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Hey there and welcome,

I'm glad you're liking ubuntu despite your internet problem. It would instantly turn alot of people off.

Where in the process exactly is it going wrong? Or do you follow the instructions on the other post and it just doesn't work?

Edit: I also took a closer look at the thread you linked to. It looks like the guy who posted the thread is using a different version of ubuntu to you, which may also be a problem...

AmbrociousXP
February 12th, 2010, 05:54 AM
OK, that may be the case here. Well, with Windows when I plug in the Belkin USB it automatically recognizes it but with this is doesn't even register it. I tried everything that it said but it refuses to even open up the network security key or anything. Where do I enter the security key so I can connect? I wish there was some sort of reflexive program that would be more sensitive to find out the problems. It wants me to configure it to go through WPA-2 and AES but is there a simpler way to do this?

bronquel
February 12th, 2010, 06:27 AM
I promise there is a solution. i may not be the one to provide it, but it exists. The first time i used ubuntu it really took me a month of an hour or two a day googling and such to get my graphics and wireless cards to work. not that it is really that hard, but the learning curve is sharp at first, but very rewarding. It gets easier-and Ubuntu gets better!

For your problem, it sounds like you have a router you want to connect to, and you have a wireless usb card. when you plug in the usb/wifi card, does this let you see your wireless networks? you mentioned a problem with the key ring, can you type in your password and let the key ring have access to the network configurations? You also mentioned there must be a simpler way to connect rather than going through WPA2-AES. the only way to simplify the connection process would be to turn of encryption on your router... Other than that you'll have to provide credentials.

Some of the questions maybe obvious, but that way we can narrow down what's going on.

AmbrociousXP
February 12th, 2010, 08:16 AM
It doesn't even detect any wireless card, little lone see any networks available. Because it doesn't detect any networks, I can't even configure it correctly. Pretty frustrating thing really. I know that once I get passed this, I can probably learn everything else without asking too many questions as I am familiar with how to search the web but this issue is really tricky. Once I can connect into the internet through Ubuntu, everything I am sure will be easier because I wont have to shut it down just to research for answers on how to fix everything else.

So basically, it won't detect any wireless networks at all and I even followed those instructions.

cjv8888
February 12th, 2010, 08:32 AM
This thread here (http://art.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1382798) may have your answer.

AmbrociousXP
February 12th, 2010, 05:16 PM
I'll try this but it may take a while since I'm a newbie at this. Thanks.

bronquel
February 12th, 2010, 06:37 PM
sounds like a driver issue then... i would try the thread mentioned above.