PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Encrypt home folder after installation

golfer91
February 11th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Hi.

I have just installed Ubuntu Jaunty (I do not like Karmic, please don't try to make me upgrade) and after installing all my programs I realized I did not encrypt my home directory.

I know it's very simple to do this during the installation but I can't seem to find an option to do it after it.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

FuturePilot
February 12th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Yes you can still do it without reinstalling.

(carefully) follow these instructions
http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2009/06/migrating-to-encrypted-home-directory.html

shankhs
November 26th, 2011, 04:39 AM
It seems ecryptfs needs free space 2.5X the size of home folder :( This means that the tool is of no use when you have ubuntu installed for a long time or your ubuntu partition is small. Is there any encrypt tool which need far less free space than that of ecryptfs?

FuturePilot
November 28th, 2011, 07:53 AM
It seems ecryptfs needs free space 2.5X the size of home folder :( This means that the tool is of no use when you have ubuntu installed for a long time or your ubuntu partition is small. Is there any encrypt tool which need far less free space than that of ecryptfs?

No it doesn't. Where are you getting that information from?

strange_cathect
January 6th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I'm trying to use the command 'encryptfs-migrate-home -u -USER' to encrypt the /home partition of a ubunut 11.10 laptop.

But I get error messages: 'cannot access /home/user .gvfs Permission denied'

What is happening here?

sblandford
June 14th, 2012, 08:31 AM

This is because the instructions copy the data (with rsync) from your existing home directory instead of moving it. This is safer, but obviously resulting in double the required disk space.

You can get around this you can do the following...

Backup important large data to an external device (or two external devices to be safe) e.g. from your Documents, Videos, Music, .thunderbird and .mozilla directories.
Delete the large data on your local drive
Follow the instructions to set up the encrypted home directory
Copy the large data back from your backup device to your new encrypted directory.
Secure delete the data from your backup device(s), since there is probably a reason you wanted to encrypt the home directory!

The "wipe" command can be used for secure delete. In fact, this should probably be used in place of the "rm" in the instructions too.