PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] WOT vs LInkExtend

Georgia boy
February 11th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hi. I've heard about WOT throughout the forum and other places. While on the Mozilla site I also found the LinkExtend. Got to wondering which is the better of the two.

Also, read about Open DNS. Exactly what happens when you use this, and is it mainly for networking computers or is it also for a single desktop computer? Got kind of confusing when I was at their site reading. I know that someone told me that I should use it but wanted to make sure.

Thanks

Tom

OpSecShellshock
February 13th, 2010, 09:47 PM
WOT asks for an email address and puts browser tracking on your system in order to do what it does, so as long as you're OK with that it's fine. Even if you don't have the plugin installed, you can still look at the ratings pages for any site that it is aware of, you just don't get the color-coded rings near links.

I'm not familiar with the other. I looked over their website and it seems like they aggregate ratings from a number of services, including WOT. Their privacy policy claims that they do not collect browsing information or email addresses, but they do say that it's subject to change. Other than that, the only concern I have is that it's a toolbar rather than some other silent process. Also, you'll want to know what it does after installation, how it works, what part of the browser process it resides in, things like that. And considering that it appears to be an aggregated service, check to make sure that you aren't bound by the TOS of any of the other services that LinkExtend is drawing upon.

And as with all other things of this nature, please understand that there is no substitute for your personal discretion.

wilee-nilee
February 13th, 2010, 09:50 PM
You don't have to give WOT your email address just hit the cancel button when that GUI comes up.

Sir Jasper
February 13th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Hi.

You can use WoT as well as, not instead of, other options if you wish. It is fast and comprehensive, though not perfect.

OpenDNS can be set at browser or router level and may be used on a sole computer. There is no need to register to obtain only phishing protection.

My regards