PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] O office 3.2 release

degarb
February 10th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I checked sn pack manager and nothing about 3.2 How soon?

I would like a good forum here to discuss ubuntu software.

mbzn
February 10th, 2010, 08:14 PM
The package manager ('mostly?') Have the most stable releases.
You could try http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/OOoRelease32

Temposs
February 10th, 2010, 10:03 PM
You probably won't ever see Open Office 3.2 in Ubuntu 9.10.

The Ubuntu maintainers select a major version of each application to stick with for a given version of Ubuntu. For Ubuntu 9.10, OpenOffice 3.1 was the newest stable release in October when 9.10 came out. From now on, pretty much, Ubuntu will keep OpenOffice 3.1 as the official version for Ubuntu 9.10.

But, they will tweak the OpenOffice 3.1 code sometimes when there are major security and stability bugs that need to be fixed. That's why when you look at a program's version in Synaptic Package Manager, you see it's not just OpenOffice 3.1, but rather 1:3.1.1-5ubuntu1. The "ubuntu1" part means the Ubuntu team has made their own fixes to OpenOffice to work better in Ubuntu.

So, if you want to see OpenOffice 3.2 in the package manager, you need to wait for Ubuntu 10.04 to be released in April, and then install that :-)

Otherwise, if you are satisfied with the functionality of the OpenOffice that is installed in Ubuntu, you should keep it, because it is customized to work best with Ubuntu. The version you get from the OpenOffice website is not.

Rod J
February 10th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I checked sn pack manager and nothing about 3.2 How soon?

I would like a good forum here to discuss ubuntu software.

I downloaded 3.2.0rc1 from the OpenOffice website some time ago and have been using it without problems in Jaunty 9.04. It's the Release Candidate version and this is the file I downloaded: OOo_3.2.0rc1_20091217_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz. It runs just fine on my system (Intel Core-2Duo 1.86Mhz, 2Gb ram). I see version 3.1.1 is still the stable version at the moment.

degarb
February 11th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I downloaded 3.2.0rc1 from the OpenOffice website some time ago and have been using it without problems in Jaunty 9.04. It's the Release Candidate version and this is the file I downloaded: OOo_3.2.0rc1_20091217_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz. It runs just fine on my system (Intel Core-2Duo 1.86Mhz, 2Gb ram). I see version 3.1.1 is still the stable version at the moment.

Blazingly fast system you have there. But then again, I am still in 2003 or earlier. I am a strong supporter of free trade, cheap nick knacks, and think invading Iraq is a great idea to get Osama and wipe out those WMDs! Anyway, any compelling reasons that you see with the upgrade? Anything easier or work better?

altonbr
February 12th, 2010, 03:33 AM
You can install it via the instructions in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1404156