PDA

View Full Version : Compiler for cobol + vim or vi ??

itrehalf
February 10th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Greetings Im new here in the forum, and i have a problem with VIM.
As you would notice its my first time programming with VIM (i used to program in other languages like java, C , c++ ) anyhow my problem is that i dont know how to set the compiler in the text editor called VIM.
And also i dont know wich compiler should i use, just tell me a good one that works fine with VIM.

If i am missing somth or sort of , just let me know , It is a must use VIM for me (due to work reasons).

Conclusion: So my problem basicaly is how to set the compiler to the text editor and wich compiler should i use.
BTW i read the tutorial i think the name is : "How to start programming" but there isnt a tutorial for cobol so if i am successful i'll make one guide.

Thank you for your time,

Itre.

bogdan.veringioiu
February 11th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Hi.
Using vim as a code editor is implying a little change in your approaching of coding/compiling.
I suggest 2 things:
-use one terminal with vim for editing your files, and use another terminal for compilation. (or use Terminator which will allow you to split terminal screens)
-within the vim editor, type:

:!command
This way, you execute a command without leaving vim (the command can be your compilation command)
Bogdan

wmcbrine
February 11th, 2010, 10:52 PM
COBOL is a pretty neglected language for Linux, but OpenCOBOL is in the repos:

sudo apt-get install open-cobol