PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Installation (.tar)

Nelandir
February 9th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Now, I know people say Windows sucks and always has some issues and that Linux has none.

Well, that might be true and the truth is that Ubuntu has a lot of software available through Ubuntu Software Center and Synaptic, but other software (I'm talking about .tar, not about .deb pacages 'cause they're way too easy to install too) is totally screwed to install. I have followed the instructions with no success (exept for Flock). I'm not saying programs are impossible to installl, but why complicate so much? you might not like Windows, but installation there is easy - just doubleclick on a setup file to start installlation and even a total idiot can install it by just clicking Next. Why complicate something that should be easy?

Don't telll me that .tar is for old installations and .deb for new. If that is the case, why is software still being released as .tar?

Oh yeah, the Linux I have is Kubuntu.

zvacet
February 9th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Packages with tar.gz extension are source code and they have to be compiled.Packages with deb extension are made from source and now ready for install with click.Sometimes you have to compile,because there is no deb package available.Maybe this (http://amitech.50webs.com/installing/index.php.html) is a good start point for installing software in Ubuntu.You can always visit this. (http://www.ubuntu-hr.org/)

kellemes
February 9th, 2010, 03:04 PM
I guess you never tried to compile and install a serious peace of software on Windows? Believe me.. a lot more work has to be done to have the package installed.

I don't really see the difference between doubleclick an exe and doubleclick a deb. And with Linux (most distro's anyway) you only have to doubleclick ones! The software will be kept up to date automatically. Never saw Windows do that. ;-)

Edit:

Now, I know people say Windows sucks and always has some issues and that Linux has none.
Linux has no less issues then Windows, only different issues.

nelsonmchizi
February 9th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Hey, am having problems with my network card, it connects to the internet but i cant find my network interface, when instert "airodump-ng eth0" it tells me the ARP linktype is set to one and to make sure RFMON is enabled, it also tells me that SYSFS was not found either, am using backtrack 4, can someone help me?

And whem i type airmon-ng , it just brings "interface Chipset Driver" without anything as their output

kellemes
February 9th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Hey, am having problems with my network card, it connects to the internet but i cant find my network interface, when instert "airodump-ng eth0" it tells me the ARP linktype is set to one and to make sure RFMON is enabled, it also tells me that SYSFS was not found either, am using backtrack 4, can someone help me?

And whem i type airmon-ng , it just brings "interface Chipset Driver" without anything as their output

You better click the "New Thread"-button to post your question, now you're posting into a thread dealing with other issues. ;)