PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trying to install to Compact Flash card

tackle
February 8th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.10 to a Compact Flash card. It's not going very well.

I have a 4GB USB drive that I want to install from. I can boot from this USB drive and get into either Ubuntu itself or the installation program only. Either way, I've tried to install it.
My Sandisk Extreme IV 4GB 45MB/s compact flash card is detected in my BIOS and shows up during the installation as well. Whenever I try to finalize and start the installation it gets to 15% and then gives an error on how it can't mount the file system.

I've tried every file system available.
Funny thing is, I can use gparted to format the card to ext2. It then shows up on the desktop as a drive. If I go into that drive, there's a folder called lost+found. If I try to enter that folder it complains about permissions.

Is there any special trick to installing onto a compact flash card? I've tried with every file system available, with and without a swap file partition as well. I have quite scarce experience with Ubuntu and Linux in general so this is incredibly hard. But I wont give up that easily!

Second thought:
If I can't get this working, would it be just as OK to run it as a "live" distro on the CF card?

The motherboard is an Intel D945GSEJT. Using 1 gig ram.

phillw
February 9th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Hi, and welcome to the Forums.

Assuming you can boot a LiveCD to get into Ubuntu as "Try without altering my computer", then Selecting System-->Administration-->Create a USB startup disk should happily do all the hard work for you.

Don't allocate all the spare room on your flash card to casper (the persisitant bit) - leave about 10% free - For some reason they can get upset if you allocate it all to casper. I'm sure someone knows why, I just know to leave a bit of free space !!

That method will format your flash card, so make sure there's nothing on it that you need before you start !!!

Regards,

Phill.

tackle
February 9th, 2010, 11:31 PM
So this method would be equivalent to using the CF as a Live-CD, right?
And it will be formatted to FAT32?

I don't want to create a USB startup disk; I want to install Ubuntu onto the Compact Flash memory. Are you saying this is the only possible solution? I've read about so many other linux OS's being successfully installed on a CF>IDE, but people having quite some trouble with Ubuntu on IDE drives.

blur xc
February 9th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Just a thought- how are you inserting the CF card? Is this a dual boot and have you tried it in Windows? Is it a UDMA card and does your card reader support UDMA cards?

I use a 4gig transcend 300x udma CF card very often in my UDMA compliant usb internal card reader it it works flawlessly. The only time it didn't work was back when I was using my old USB card reader that did not support UDMA cards, and it had a lot of issues. It would transfer a few files and quit. A few more than quit again. Back then, I had to use the usb cable that came w/ my camera and transfer files that way, and luckily my camera has a mass storage usb mode so it all went smoothly.

BM

tackle
February 10th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Edit: had some connection problems and thought I lost the above reply