PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] broken synaptic package manager please help

specter51095
February 8th, 2010, 08:17 PM
yesterday my computer lost power while installing sun virtualbox and when i turned it back on it had virtualbox in the applications tab under system tools but it wouldnt launch it gave me an error and told me to reinstall virtualbox so i went back to the package i downloaded and launched when i clicked install it said please close all other package programs first and i didnt have any open so i rebooted to try and close them that way when i logged back in it did the same thing and then i tried launching the synaptic package manager and it gave me this error

E: dpkg was inturupted you must manualy run sudo dpkg --configure-a to corect the problem
E: _catche->open() failed, please report.

i tried running sudu dpkg as it said but it didnt do anything other than bring up the avalible commands for dpkg and i had no idea what to do

anyway what i need to know is how to get the package manager running again after that i can fix the rest by myself also if its possible can it be kept as simple as possible or step by step instructions because i have only been useing ubuntu for roughly 2-3weeks now

thanks

dabl
February 8th, 2010, 10:09 PM
sudo dpkg --configure -a

is the command to use.

Sef
February 9th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
is the command to use.

Since the OP is on Kubuntu, the correct code would be this:

kdesu dpkg --configure -a

phillw
February 9th, 2010, 12:31 AM

Which kinda begs the question as to why Synaptics was giving the OP the Ubuntu command. Well spotted Sef - I'll bear that one mind for sudo issues with Kubuntu !!

Phill.

dabl
February 10th, 2010, 04:19 PM

Actually, no.

dpkg is not a graphical interface package, so there is no "gksudo" or "kdesudo" prefix needed (or appropriate). I should have said "In a console window or at a tty console issue the command ..."

But "sudo" is the correct prefix for the dpkg CLI command. ;)