PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing KDE and not Kubuntu

Joe772
February 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Ok, I originally started out running regular Ubuntu, under gnome. I was playing around and installed xfce-4, as a window manager, but not xubuntu, just xfce. (Or at least from my understanding.) Now last night, I figure I'll try out kde4, cause plasma seemed pretty awesome. The only way I found was to do sudo apt-get kde-desktop. I didn't realize that this was going to pretty much install all of kubuntu. I really don't want any of the applications that come with it, etc, etc, I just want to use it as a window manager. Am I completely wrong in thinking this is possible?

lovinglinux
February 8th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Ok, I originally started out running regular Ubuntu, under gnome. I was playing around and installed xfce-4, as a window manager, but not xubuntu, just xfce. (Or at least from my understanding.) Now last night, I figure I'll try out kde4, cause plasma seemed pretty awesome. The only way I found was to do sudo apt-get kde-desktop. I didn't realize that this was going to pretty much install all of kubuntu. I really don't want any of the applications that come with it, etc, etc, I just want to use it as a window manager. Am I completely wrong in thinking this is possible?

You can install kde-minimal. It won't install all the stuff. I also recommend kdeplasma-addons.

Since you already have installed kde-desktop, uninstall all the stuff and install kde-minimal again. See http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/puregnome to learn how to remove kde-desktop.