PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Google breach!

Camilia
February 8th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Read that
January 20, 2010
Microsoft's confirmed last week that a flaw in IE was exploited by hackers to break into the corporate network of google.

Now I wonder if it is safe to use google search engine.

What are your thoughts?

coldfusion1313
February 8th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Good job IE and Windows on a whole. Linux FTW!!

adam814
February 8th, 2010, 07:18 AM
It's probably as safe as using any search engine. Just because they admit a flaw doesn't mean they have any more or less flaws than competitors that might simpy not be disclosing them.

I'm not saying trusting Google (or any other corporation) infinitely is the way to go, but if you keep up-to-date on security updates and take the time to set up the NoScript add-on in Firefox the way you want it you should be reasonably safe in your web browsing.

rookcifer
February 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Read that
January 20, 2010
Microsoft's confirmed last week that a flaw in IE was exploited by hackers to break into the corporate network of google.

Now I wonder if it is safe to use google search engine.

What are your thoughts?

The attack had no effect on the search engine machines (which run linux). The attack happened in China and was a result of various employees running outdated versions of IE on their desktop boxes. This attack was more directed at the business end of Google -- we know that source code was stolen for example. And I would not rule out that it was an inside job, but we wont know until Google releases more info.

zeroseven0183
February 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Never use Internet Explorer for so many reasons. You have a lot of safer and better alternatives.

And as far as Google search engine is concerned, I'd still go and use it.

wojox
February 8th, 2010, 12:51 PM
The attack had no effect on the search engine machines (which run linux). The attack happened in China and was a result of various employees running outdated versions of IE on their desktop boxes. This attack was more directed at the business end of Google -- we know that source code was stolen for example. And I would not rule out that it was an inside job, but we wont know until Google releases more info.

+1 Just looking for code.

coldfusion1313
February 8th, 2010, 08:48 PM
+1

saif_held
February 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Using Google is safe. Surely doesn't mean fully trusting them but IE is the main cause.

coldfusion1313
February 8th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Googles servers run linux, and i bet Google has firewalls out the wazzo. :)

And IE is a very unsercure web browser.