PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] alternatives to real bass (for ardour recording)

extendedping
February 7th, 2010, 07:04 PM
I have tried my bass (which I suck at btw) through both the direct port 1 of my firepod and through various amp settings on my vox tonelab (which yea I know is really for guitar) but I can't get a good sound. I was wondering if there are any real bass samples floating around that I could then program into ardour. or any good keyboard (or synthasizer I guess it is officially called) that I could download to give me doors like organ/bass notes for recording. thanks in advance, I tried something called alsa modular synth but perhaps cause I am new to this I could not get it to make a sound in ardour after attaching a virtual keyboard to it. :(

cchhrriiss121212
February 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
When I have recorded bass guitar I just go from pre-amp to my d/a box. Then I use compression and other effects and eq for taste. Calf plugins for jack is what I use for that.
Does the firepod have pre-amps included? If not you should look into getting one. I've never heard a decent bass sound going through a guitar amp.
There are plenty of decent synth sounds available in zynaddsubfx and freebirth. Have a go with the presets and then tweak them or make your own.

Regarding the trouble with alsa modular synth: I've tried this program before and didn't like it much but there plenty of alternatives. I use patchage to get different programs connected as opposed to jack connections window, have you tried that?

robeast
February 7th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Getting a good bass sound can be REALLY difficult, especially if you are not a very good bass player. Since your firepod has plenty of inputs I would try out a few more micing techniques (if you have enough mics) and also direct in and try mixing those together. Otherwise I have found a good sound by using a simple synth bass and sequencing it, then piping that audio out through a guitar amp and recording that. It can make a synth bass sound like a real bass just by passing through an amp and into the air.

You can get some quick bass sounds with the triple oscillator in LMMS or if you are a synth wiz you can tinker with ZynAddSubFX for hours. I think Nekobee would make a good bass sound, especially after piping it through an amp (even a guitar amp will do).

You could also rip some samples from a recording of a band you like that has a breakdown with just bass or bass/drum. Any open spot where you can rip a clean bass sample. Easier said than done, but it's possible.

eric71
February 8th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I don't have a bass, and my attempts to pitch shift my guitars never sound right. I've taken to making my bass lines in a piano roll. I use Reaper, but Rosegarden or seq24 could work just as well. Load up a good bass soundfont in Qsynth or the fluidsynth DSSI in Rosegarden, connect it to Ardour with jack and record it. Then run it through perhaps some of the Caps LADSPA preamp/cabinet plugins to tweak the sound how you want. It isn't completely realistic, but it will be more than passable in a mix. I'm currently using this soundfont: http://www.hammersound.com/cgi-bin/soundlink_download2.pl/Download%20USA;triple_s_fingeredbass.rar

niffcreature
February 8th, 2010, 08:07 PM
my brother is a professional jazz bass player, were you looking for upright bass sound?
i have a whole bunch of recordings with my sm57, but internal soundcard, theyre not too bad.

extendedping
February 9th, 2010, 03:30 PM
my brother is a professional jazz bass player, were you looking for upright bass sound?
i have a whole bunch of recordings with my sm57, but internal soundcard, theyre not too bad.

looking for rock blues...but in general looking for real bass sounds that are not mud...