PDA

View Full Version : Is (Atom N330 + nVidia ION + 2GB) still good for video editing?

hhtmp88
February 7th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Dear all,

I am going to buy the following multimedia PC for 1080p movies, music and video editing:
=========================
Product Name: Giada Slim-N10
CPU: Intel® dual-core ATOM™ N330 1.6GHz
GPU: nVidia ION, Support 1080P movie
Memory: 2GBDDR2 RAM
=========================

I wonder if Giada N10 still good for video editing ?

Welcome any comments!

Thanks &Rgds!

LuridCinema
February 7th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Can you test one first ? I think you might not have enough power to properly work w/ video editing w/o dropping frames.. feel that I am pushing it on my Core2 2.67ghz machine. A single 1.6 machine will have problems in my opinion

hhtmp88
February 7th, 2010, 09:57 AM
what if I only use it for 640x480 video, and not for 1080p Full HD videos?
-> aimed for taking videos and put them in YouTube for sharing!

sototallycarl
February 9th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I have an HP Mini 310 with similar if not exact specs/claims. If you just want to slice and upload you should be fine, but don't expect much in way of effects or speed for that matter. I played around with OpenShot on mine and I am pretty sure the 1080 Ion claims are a little off. Video seems way better than any other netbook hardware but its certainly no powerhouse and easily chokes on video, but again, perfectly acceptable in my book for lower end hardware.

You could try upgrading the drive speed and RAM to boost performance.

alegallo
February 9th, 2010, 11:13 PM
basically you can do video editing with everything, but don't expect much from an Atom CPU ;)
Years ago I had my first experiences in video with a P3 500 with 256Mb RAM, and I did it ... but it took looooooooong! :)
Video editing is rather a matter of hard disc access and of pure cpu power, whereas RAM plays a secondary role. I would suggest a more powerful machine to do a serious job, but you could definitely do something in lower resolutions with your hardware

snowpine
February 9th, 2010, 11:16 PM
The 1.6ghz Atom 330 CPU is roughly as fast as a 3ghz Pentium 4 from days gone by. Hope that helps you decide! :)

hhtmp88
February 12th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks all for your comments!
Rgds,