PDA

View Full Version : G++ Allegro - I know they hate each other, but I love g++

Ravenshade
February 7th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Bearing in mind the title, I want to compile C++ executables with Allegro in order to start making basic (very basic) games.

One major problem, is that g++ can't seem to find it. I don't use Dev C++ mainly because the last time I installed it on Windows it gave me a BIOS virus. (And that was from the main site).

On the other hand, how do I link the allegro libraries to g++.

I have installed a number of Allegro packages from syn apt, and that's as far as I'm going at the moment.

If someone has a link to an online tutorial for this I'd be much appreciated as the Allegro site is very unclear.

dwhitney67
February 7th, 2010, 12:44 AM
"I pity the fool" that use Windows with Dev C++ or even cygwin. If you are using Ubuntu, then the allegro library should be installed within /usr/lib. Header files within /usr/include.

What exactly is the problem you are having? Please don't put the blame on g++ or Allegro.

Ravenshade
February 7th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Oh I'm not blaming either. It's just g++ can't find Allegro.

I insert the code and try to compile but for some reason G++ can't find the file. For instance

#include <allegro.h>

It can't find it.

gusnan
February 7th, 2010, 03:24 PM
try something like

g++ myprogram.cpp -o myprogram `allegro-config --libs --cflags`
(These are backticks (`), not standard ticks (').)

Ravenshade
February 7th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Would I have to use that every time (I haven't tried it just yet, not on the same computer)

gusnan
February 7th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Would I have to use that every time (I haven't tried it just yet, not on the same computer)

If compiling from a command-line using g++, yes. - That is what we have makefiles for - adding it to a makefile gives us the option to compile with a simple "make" command and still get all necessary compile-flags set, but this is a bigger topic.