PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Help me find a nautilus sorting extension

Exp HP
February 6th, 2010, 08:10 PM
I want to add a sorting option to "Arrange Items" in Nautilus. And it appears that to do this, I will have to write an extension (not a script). Unfortunately, I've never written an extension before. Simply put, I don't know what to do. So I need some help.

Because I want to write the extension myself (rather than be given one that already does exactly what I want), I won't tell what sorting option I plan to add yet. But I will share it here if and when I finish it.

Right now I don't even know the first thing about Nautilus extensions. It prolly sounds like I'm getting far ahead of myself, but have some faith; I already have Gedit doing a fairly good job highlighting syntax for a scripting language I made, and all I had to do was look at the existing .lang files for reference when writing my own. As long as I have something to work with, I'll be fairly okay on my own.[/self-advertisement]

Here's what I need: Help me find an extension that adds a new sort option when viewing a folder in Nautilus. Any sort option will do, as long as it is integrated into the Arrange Items menu.
I need to be able to view the source code, and I also need to know how to install it.

Note: Don't give me the Sort Trash by Date Deleted extension. I've already seen it (it's the only one I've been able to find so far). I don't know what to do with it. It's not explained well. And besides, the Trash probably uses a different set of functions/methods/variables from regular folders, meaning that extension may be of little help.

Exp HP
February 7th, 2010, 10:29 PM
*bump*

I still have had no luck finding anything.