PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] reinstall question

cirabisi2009
February 6th, 2010, 08:40 AM
so. i have ubuntu and xubuntu installed through wubi on windows... im ready to completely do away with my windows... so. can i install xubuntu over everything and not worry about having to back up my stuff already on ubuntu? or will installing xubuntu over windows erase what i have on xubuntu? my windows is non accesible except through host folder. it has some wicked virus that lets me do virtually nothing. some one give me some help. if i have to back everything up can i back it up on the internet free? i thought about using chrome to back stuff up and put ubuntu and chrome on.

mushwars
February 6th, 2010, 09:15 AM
yes, when you format your drive, you lose everything. You need to back them up. I would not reccomend online storage. *stolen data* <- had it happen. I would either get an external harddrive or just throw the important files on a flashdrive.

I dont even know how wubbi works, but I would assume that it is running inside of windows which means that if you erease windows you erase xubuntu.

cirabisi2009
February 7th, 2010, 11:27 AM
looks like my next investment is an external hard drive then. thanks for the help its appreciated!

steindor2
February 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM
looks like my next investment is an external hard drive then. thanks for the help its appreciated!

i rather recommend making a partiton for xubuntu, moving the files over to that partiton and then re-sizing.

Elfy
February 7th, 2010, 11:37 AM
You can use LVPM to deal with moving your existing wubi install if you want to - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#How%20do%20I%20migrate%20to%20a%20real%2 0partition,%20and/or%20get%20rid%20of%20Windows%20entirely?

cirabisi2009
February 7th, 2010, 12:02 PM
well. put it into a separate partition... how about a dummies guide on creating a partition... last time i attempted this i wiped out my friends computer ... needless to say he doesnt let me near his computer when it comes to partitions.