PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] screen saver

dimitriv
February 6th, 2010, 02:31 AM
Hi I'm after a screen saver or other slideshow program that does the following (similar to Windows XP My Pictures Slideshow)

a) allows you to select a picture folder and it then randomly displays all pictures as a slideshow from this folder and it's subfolders
b) preferably allows you to control how long each picture is shown for
c) allows you to switch on/off displaying the pictures path (directory) which gets shown during the slideshow
d) while the slideshow is playing allows you to scroll back (perhaps using back button) or pause on picture
e) delete a picture during presentation

Please confirm which of the functions above are available

Many thanks

73ckn797
February 6th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Go to System/Preferences/Screensaver and select F-Spot. I do not use it but it will display a photo directory. You will first have to go to Applications/Graphics/F-Spot Photo Manager to set a "favorites" folder. Mark photos as favorites.

dimitriv
February 6th, 2010, 05:51 AM
thanks, if anyone can suggest something that meets the criteria above it would be appreciated. thank you

Ironhide
February 6th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Thanks a lot, it works!!!

Is there a way to make the photos display in full screen?

Some photos I see full screen and other are cut from the side.

For example:

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/892/screenshotxi.png

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5538/screenshot1myt.png

mbzn
February 6th, 2010, 09:43 AM
You could also use the one 'Pictures Folder'

dimitriv
February 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Neither the Pictures Folder or F-Spot provide the functionality I'm after, please advise a solution that does b) c) d) e)

In answer to the pictures fitting full screen, another feature which neither of those two have, is Stretch to Full Screen which is something that you get on the Windows screensaver. Having used that feature I prefer not to use it, for me it's better to see the full picture in reduced size fitting the screen.

thanks

azertyh
February 6th, 2010, 11:29 AM
hi,

look at xscreensaver. perhaps it would fill your needs.

dimitriv
February 6th, 2010, 09:02 PM
thanks for suggestion, no sign of photo/pic display - anybody know any another suggestion, surely there must be.....?

Thanks

2hot6ft2
February 6th, 2010, 09:14 PM
You might try wallpaper-tray it's in the repos or you can install it thru synaptic or with

sudo apt-get install wallpaper-tray
a yes
b yes
c in the settings yes
d I think so
e I don't think so