PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] partitioning?

Brandon_oma#692
February 5th, 2010, 09:24 PM
where should i ask about partitioning?

jrandolph
February 5th, 2010, 09:26 PM
that all depends on what you are trying to get accomplished
need to supply more information as to what you want

nhasian
February 5th, 2010, 10:10 PM
partitioning is a personal preference, theres lots of different ways to do it. the most popular way seems to be:

Root Parition (10-15 gigs)
Home Partition (majority of your hard disk)
Swap partition (1 or 1.5x the amount of ram in your system)

Brandon_oma#692
February 5th, 2010, 10:15 PM
I installed ubuntu on a machine that already has windows. c is much larger than d. windows on c ubuntu on d. Iplan to copy files from c to d get a little more comfortanle on ubuntu then remove windows. I would like to make them more 50/50. I am am unsure if these drives are even one partitioned or two seperate drives.

Sir Jasper
February 5th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Hi,

I really like ´buntu; however Windows is the favoured the OS in business, so I would suggest you retain it (even if you rarely use it).

My regards

As regards your other thread; which version of Excel do they use at Work?

nhasian
February 6th, 2010, 12:04 AM
That's easy enough. just enter in a terminal:

sudo fdisk -l

you could also view the data with System->Administration->Gparted (Partition Editor)

if you need to install it you can do so with:

sudo apt-get install gparted

I am am unsure if these drives are even one partitioned or two seperate drives.

lidex
February 6th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I installed ubuntu on a machine that already has windows. c is much larger than d. windows on c ubuntu on d. Iplan to copy files from c to d get a little more comfortanle on ubuntu then remove windows. I would like to make them more 50/50. I am am unsure if these drives are even one partitioned or two seperate drives.

If it is only one HDD that requires resizing your windows partition, something not for the uninitiated. Have a look here:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Multiple_OS_Installation