PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Laptop switches off whilst watching tv

verachion
February 5th, 2010, 04:35 PM
I was just watching 4od and suddenly the laptop just turned off? I have googled this and it appears that UBUNTU switches off after the cpu gets to 100% can anybody suggest a way around this?

ikt
February 5th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Is it an over heating issue?

verachion
February 5th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Is it an over heating issue?

Hi iKT no I don't think so I normally watch loads of films and stuff on windows but as I have installed this O/S yesterday I thought I would to it out. I am watching 4OD and it just switched off I have googled it here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1183935#post1183935

Is there a CPU gadget I can install to check the outputs. Also is there some form of bug report I can get in to to see what happened?

ikt
February 5th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Hi iKT no I don't think so I normally watch loads of films and stuff on windows but as I have installed this O/S yesterday I thought I would to it out. I am watching 4OD and it just switched off I have googled it here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1183935#post1183935

Is there a CPU gadget I can install to check the outputs. Also is there some form of bug report I can get in to to see what happened?

The system logs are in:

System > Admin > Log File viewer

Under syslog and messages should be some info that might help, especially if you can see what messages are being output around the time the machine goes off.

verachion
February 5th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I have looked in the logs and it looks like some form of cpu, I had the laptop in my bed and the power lead in, so the air might not of been getting to it, anyway I have installed a cpu detector and I will monitor it to see if it happens again.

Incidently, what am I looking for in the log, how will I know its definitely a cpu problem?

audiomick
February 5th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I have looked in the logs and it looks like some form of cpu, I had the laptop in my bed and the power lead in, so the air might not of been getting to it, anyway I have installed a cpu detector and I will monitor it to see if it happens again.

Incidently, what am I looking for in the log, how will I know its definitely a cpu problem?
Don't know exactly what to look for in the log, sorry.

In bed could be causing problems with the ventilation. Try putting a large book or a kitchen chopping board under the laptop so it doesn't sink into the bedclothes.

Muskegman
February 5th, 2010, 06:06 PM
your laptop will definatley overheat if you have it on your bed with the fan intake blocked by bed blankets etc. when your CPU reaches a certain temperature it will shut down.

Jackzor
February 5th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Consider yourself lucky that it shutdown. If anything.. look online for one of those laptop cooling pads. Its a pad that mounts on the base of the computer and it has fans and stuff on it. I hear they work really well.

verachion
February 6th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Consider yourself lucky that it shutdown. If anything.. look online for one of those laptop cooling pads. Its a pad that mounts on the base of the computer and it has fans and stuff on it. I hear they work really well.

Hi Jackzor, thanks alot for your reply, yes it looks like it was the CPU, when I play a movie it goes right up to 80. I will look in to getting a pad, I don't know why I didn't think about it before.

verachion
February 6th, 2010, 01:22 PM
your laptop will definatley overheat if you have it on your bed with the fan intake blocked by bed blankets etc. when your CPU reaches a certain temperature it will shut down.

Thanks for your reply Muskegman, lo aprecio.